Ducati.org forum banner

848 Problems

4K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  Proctologist 
#1 ·
I'm gonna make this short. I bought a 848 and it ran fine for a few weeks, then after letting it sit for a few weeks dead. I then replaced the battery and drove it for 3 more days before letting it sit for 2 weeks again.

Now the problem is the bike is dead and when I tried jumping it it starts but after removing the cables it instantly dies. What could it be, Any ideas?

#8 ·
Can I ask a silly question? When you say the bike doesn't work… WHAT doesn't work?

- Does the dash light up?
- Do the headlights light up?
- Can you look at the voltage gauge on the dash and tell us what it says?
- Is there NOTHING on the screen or any signs of life when you click the ignition switch?

I agree its most likely a voltage regulator.

#11 ·
Ok so I just took the battery to Autozone and told them to charge it fully and they said it'll be ready by tmrw. As for the tender thing I think my battery tender wasn't working cause after a whole night the bike didn't start. I will take pics tmrw and post them in the morning. Umm you're question isn't silly, by dead I meant that it doesn't turn on period, the same as if there is no battery in it. No lights, no ignition, no dash, nothing. Btw thanks TChase for that!:D It'll help me at least located the Voltage Regulator wherever that is! lol. I also see a blown 3AMP fuse any clue what that's for?

I'll take pics in the morning of the bike and keep you guys posted.

#15 ·
Don't get so butt-hurt, Proctologist. Oh wait...

Haha just kidding babe, couldn't -obviously- resist. :)
Wasn't butt hurt, please mind your business Joeii.

Nor I was you... Geeze :stickpoke
Yes you were, see post #5. Read before posting.

#17 ·
Thanks everyone!!! I was :blind: and now I've been guided. So Autozone finally gave me the back the battery with a full charge and after installing it back in, it came back to life :D I really thought it was the Regulator/Rectifier cause after I removed the jumper cables I thought that like a car the bike should have held the charge and stayed on once started but that wasn't the case.

CONCLUSION:
A bike is not a car.
Sometimes the problem is the most obvious one.
There are still some good people on this planet.
Help others and others will help you.

Next step: Get a motorcycle license :loser: lol

(I'm still going to ride without one till then)

I threw my car pic in there also just for the hell of it.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire Car

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Alloy wheel

#20 ·
You might also have a short draining it while it sits. As mentioned before you could get a tender/charger and that would help, not sure it will solve the problem.

Just a little advice in my state if you get pulled over without your endorsement they impound your bike.

#22 ·
In MA you can pretty much ride indefinitely on a permit. They last for 2 years, and all you are prohibited from doing is riding at night or with passangers. Once it expires you go to dmv pay a fee and take the stupid test which is mostly questions about fines and have nothing to do with bike. I know alot of ppl who do this.

#23 · (Edited)
Well if the bike is gonna get impounded then I might as well wait, I only got 2 more weeks till my road test anyway. If it's a short in the circuit that slowly drains battery then I'll find out in 2 weeks a few days before my road test. In the meanwhile with the permit I got I could still drive as long as I have some biker with an M class license driving a 1/4 mile near me.

Btw if there was a problem with the circuit or rectifier wouldn't it show on the Engine Diagnostics warning light?!

#26 ·
Btw if there was a problem with the circuit or rectifier wouldn't it show on the Engine Diagnostics warning light?!
From all that I've read you will not get a message. Cranking issues can be a lot of things but the two key items are a good charged battery and a working charging system on the bike. Have you scrolled your dash to read the voltage?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.