Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have noticed some movement in the rear sprocket.

The best way to describe it is if I sit facing the rear wheel and hold the chain and move it side-to-side the sprocket moves a few mills.

The bolts holding the sprocket carrier are tight.

Is it the cush drive bushes? Could they be worn?

Is it normal?

Thanks

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
If you face the sprocket, grab the left and right of it, pull one side towards you and push the other side away. Can you do that and does it have a lot of range of motion doing it that way?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Normal. I had the same anxiety when I noticed it cleaning my chain the third or so time. Went to a dealer and fondled the sprockets on three brand new 848s and one used one. All exactly the same as mine. After 4000 miles the slop is still exactly the same.

·
Registered
132 Posts
At least your hub nut didn't move. I was cleaning mine and noticed it wasn't even tight anymore. Good thing I had axle sliders. They are what kept it from backing out more.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hooh! That's a close shave. I did the face forward thing and tried it again and the movement was only 1-2mm so I assume it's normal and safe. Thanks guys for the help on this matter, it was making me nervous. There is so much vibration from these bikes I'm not surprised the odd nut or bolt comes loose. I also assume some specific nuts or bolts require lock tight and occasionally mechanics when rushing or not well acquainted with certain bikes/procedures may forget the torque settings or lock tight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts