Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Ducati 848 evo 2011
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Line Coil Hose

The manual says the rear suspension should have 2cm space on top. Or is it 2cm with treads?
When I got my bike it was adjusted max on top with no visible tread. Today I adjusted it a bit so it shows 1cm.

What is the advantage/disadvantage with these settings?

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
In order for your bike to handle properly the height of the bike in its suspension needs to be within Ducati's specification. Unfortunately, one factor that affects the ride height is unknown to Ducati — the rider's and passenger's weight. So Ducati choose an arbitrary weight — a 165 lb. rider — and this weight is used to specify the 2 cm dimension you see in the manual to get the required ride height.

The 2 cm dimension compresses the rear spring, that in turn, raises the rear to the correct height — for a 165 lb. rider.

If you weigh more than 165 lbs (with gear) and when you carry a passenger or luggage, then the 2 cm dimension needs to be increased to balance the additional weight and assure the correct ride height.

Raising or lowering the ride height raises and lowers the center of gravity which, in turn, increases and decreases the bikes ability to lean and turn in corners. When carrying a half tank of fuel, it also will place a standard rider weighing 165 lb. (including gear) in the middle of the suspension travel when using the stock springs.

Sag is the amount of suspension travel that is used when you put the rider on the bike. Typically you would want about 30 mm sag on both front and rear springs as a starting point with the rider on the machine in the normal riding position.

So, the 30 mm of rear downward movement under your weight is the important spec, not the 2 cm measurement at the spring. A measurement of the number of threads showing above the locking ring nut is specified by Ducati to help in returning to the factory settings, again for a 165 lb. rider.

The amount of rider sag is controlled by the spring stiffness and the rider weight. A rider significantly heavier than the standard 165 lb. rider will cause the bike in its suspension to move down more, so a stiffer spring (lb./in) may be needed to achieve 30 mm of rider sag.

Rider sag is affected by spring stiffness and unaffected by spring preload.

30 mm of rider sag is only a target. It represents a value of one-third of suspension travel for a superbike.

So, if you are a heavier rider and you are getting more than 30 mm of rider sag on a superbike you can use spring preload to raise the rider back to the correct ride height but there becomes a point for heavier riders where you should use stiffer springs instead.

·
Registered
Ducati 848 evo 2011
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank u very much for this answer. I thought the height was higher with spring adjusted to full.
I am 205 pounds so I will push it down 2cm first.

But. Is it 2 cm with treads or what is the measurement points?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts