Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'll have the answer soon enough as I'm changing nearly all the parts possible soon. I've got an issue where after a long amount of time riding (hour?) it will start moving from a stop with the lever pulled all the way in. It starts to feel soft and no resistance around that time as well. Starts out great just gets to that point. My thought is a bad slave cylinder. I did swap stock for a cnc and I'll be putting the stock one back on this weekend. Thoughts?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Thoughts? I think you need to write your post in the form of a question, written with proper grammar and intelligible details, in order to receive an informed response.

Dear God, man! Your English teachers are rolling over in their respective graves!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The lever softens and it feels like the plunger inside the master is slow to return. This is typically at a stop waiting and then taking off. The clutch will not hold with the lever pulled in and if enough ride time has passed it will stall trying to move forward on its own.

·
Registered
270 Posts
It could be a number of issues. The best bet would be to start with basic maintenance.
Remove the slave cylinder while leaving the line attached, and remove the operating rod. Clean them both, inspect the O rings on the rod for damage or swelling, apply a light coating of grease to the rod ends and O rings, then reinstall the components. Follow this with a proper bleeding of the clutch circuit.

Degraded fluid, worn seals, and sludging can all cause symptoms that are exacerbated by heat.

Additionally, ensure that your levers are properly adjusted with some freeplay at the end of the movement. This allows the components to heat and expand in the engine case, without resulting in a partially engaged slave cylinder causing the clutch to lightly slip and overheat.

I have also had issues with issues with the master seals on bikes that were poorly maintained before I purchased them.

Typical slave failures result in leakage, frozen pistons, and notchy operation from scored bore walls.
Typical master failures involve leakage, drag during operation or release, and internal leakage from damaged seals causing clutch drag that typically results in shift failures such as grinding, inability to engage neutral, or engine drag while lever is engaged.

If it is a loss of pressure from the slave, the leakage will have to be external and visible. If it is the master that loses pressure, the leakage may be external, but will more likely be internal and can push back into the reservoir.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.