Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i'm having a problem with shifting after buying back my 848 from salvage.

Long story short some guy made a left in front of my and I laid my 848 down on the left side at around 25-30mph.
The problems seemed mostly cosmetic but cosmetic problems will total a Ducati in no time.

I replaced the left handlebar, clutch lever, shifter, and topped off the left reservoir since it was emptied during the crash. (Also this might be the problem since I didn't bleed the lines)

So the problem happens when I get my revs up and slowly release the clutch. When I release the clutch fully in first the bike starts making this jumpy motion like i'm releasing the clutch too fast or something. This is especially hard when going up a hill. I also lost my neutral light.

What could be the problem? The guy at the Ducati dealer says the bike is mechanically fine.
Could this be caused by the fluids?

I'll also throw in that the clutch cable has been tied together to allow the bike be started with the aftermarket clutch lever.
:bash:

Thanks for the help in advance.

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Few things, Ducati's don't have clutch cables, they have hydraulic lines. They can't be altered in any way or the hydraulic system won't work. Doesn't matter what lever you have on the bike, if it works it works, if it doesn't it doesn't. There isn't any cable tying you can do, or something to force something to work. I don't know of any aftermarket levers that don't work unless they're total chinese garbage.

Can you explain the "skipping" part a bit more. Does it move forward, but then stop moving forward all of a sudden and then jerk forward some more... OR does it just stutter on take-off as if you were in the wrong gear and once you're moving its all good?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help i'm still learning.

It almost feels the bike is shaking in the front(That's when I get the speed up) and it sounds really choppy almost like the transmission is not wanting to stick(If that is possible). All I have to do to fix the problem is to keep the clutch slightly in for it to be normal. Letting the clutch out fully isn't agreeing with it. I can make a short video of the sound real quick.

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Few things, Ducati's don't have clutch cables, they have hydraulic lines. They can't be altered in any way or the hydraulic system won't work. Doesn't matter what lever you have on the bike, if it works it works, if it doesn't it doesn't. There isn't any cable tying you can do, or something to force something to work. I don't know of any aftermarket levers that don't work unless they're total chinese garbage.
I daresay he means the electrical "cable" for the cut-out switch on the clutch lever.
You're getting a reputation for handing out poorly thought out statements since your return Tye, as per the 'Failure' thread, where you come on as all-knowing then immediately refute your former statement when someone corrects you.
Like "Ducatis don't have clutch cables". Well, several of my Ducatis had clutch cables, so that statement is untrue.
Think before you type..

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
I daresay he means the electrical "cable" for the cut-out switch on the clutch lever.
You're getting a reputation for handing out poorly thought out statements since your return Tye, as per the 'Failure' thread, where you come on as all-knowing then immediately refute your former statement when someone corrects you.
Like "Ducatis don't have clutch cables". Well, several of my Ducatis had clutch cables, so that statement is untrue.
Think before you type..
First off, if he was referring to the cut off switch for the clutch, that switch doesn't do anything if the bike is in neutral. All that switch is designed to do is to keep the rider from starting the bike when its in gear. The bike starts and runs totally fine with or without it.

Second, you're right, prior to Cagiva's take over of Ducati in the 80's, they had clutch cables. Sadly, nobody in their right mind would consider the discussion of an 848 having anything to do with pre-Cagiva days. So yes, Ducati's don't have clutch cables do they? I'm super glad you confused the topic of "vintage" bikes with the modern/new Ducati 848 superbike.

Finally, its easy to be a jerk, why don't you try to help the OP instead of disputing anything or everything I say? Nothing I said was wrong, it was said in context. If you wanna take everything I say out of context, thats your prerogative, but don't bitch at me if you do.

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
First off, if he was referring to the cut off switch for the clutch, that switch doesn't do anything if the bike is in neutral. All that switch is designed to do is to keep the rider from starting the bike when its in gear. The bike starts and runs totally fine with or without it.

Second, you're right, prior to Cagiva's take over of Ducati in the 80's, they had clutch cables. Sadly, nobody in their right mind would consider the discussion of an 848 having anything to do with pre-Cagiva days. So yes, Ducati's don't have clutch cables do they? I'm super glad you confused the topic of "vintage" bikes with the modern/new Ducati 848 superbike.

Finally, its easy to be a jerk, why don't you try to help the OP instead of disputing anything or everything I say? Nothing I said was wrong, it was said in context. If you wanna take everything I say out of context, thats your prerogative, but don't bitch at me if you do.
I understand perfectly the interaction of the clutch switch, sidestand switch and neutral light circuit. Thank you.
I stand by the correction of your blanket statement that "Ducatis don't have clutch cables". Many do.
Not sure that it's me that is "being a jerk". I actually put in a lot of effort helping people sort out mechanical issues on here. If you had been around recently you would know that.
I was just suggesting that you take it a bit easy on the sweeping statements and criticism.
You have alienated many since your Second Coming.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was referring to the two wires as you said.
It was a poor word choice.

I'm pretty sure I was in first gear since I started the bike in neutral then went down to first. But i'll take my bike in to get all the fluids changed tomorrow and if it still acts up i'll bring it in to a professional.

Thanks for all the help guys i'll let you all know the outcome.

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
I was referring to the two wires as you said.
It was a poor word choice.

I'm pretty sure I was in first gear since I started the bike in neutral then went down to first. But i'll take my bike in to get all the fluids changed tomorrow and if it still acts up i'll bring it in to a professional.

Thanks for all the help guys i'll let you all know the outcome.
Ah, ha! You pushed down to get into first. What if the guy who put the linkage on, put it reverse and pushing down really went into 2nd? Thats super easy to do and it would do exactly what your referring to.

I know that bike/motor very well, inside and out. The "chugging" your getting is from being in a gear too high for the speed and RPM's.

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Hey guys i'm having a problem with shifting after buying back my 848 from salvage.
I replaced the left handlebar, clutch lever, shifter, and topped off the left reservoir since it was emptied during the crash. (Also this might be the problem since I didn't bleed the lines)
So the problem happens when I get my revs up and slowly release the clutch. When I release the clutch fully in first the bike starts making this jumpy motion like i'm releasing the clutch too fast or something. This is especially hard when going up a hill. I also lost my neutral light.
I'll also throw in that the clutch cable has been tied together to allow the bike be started with the aftermarket clutch lever.
So it sounds like you have eliminated the cut-out switch to allow you to start the bike in gear, as the aftermarket lever doesn't have the pin to operate the switch?
Your problems sound to be internal to the clutch itself, and may relate more to wear and tear there as opposed to accident damage.
How many miles on the bike?

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
I understand perfectly the interaction of the clutch switch, sidestand switch and neutral light circuit.
So instead of badgering me, why don't you explain it to the OP in a nice civil way?

Believe it or not, A LOT of people who own modern Ducati's don't know the clutch is hydraulic activated. I merely stated, the OP's comment didn't make sense and explained why. Is it illegal to get to the point without beating around the bush?

I was just suggesting that you take it a bit easy on the sweeping statements and criticism.
You have alienated many since your Second Coming.
If people come on here and give me shit, I'm gonna fight back. So don't give me shit and I'll play nice. Sorry if my responses are direct and to the point.

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
I have been "nice and civil", as always.

It wasn't me accusing anyone of being a jerk.

Just take it easy on the aggro - it's not me who has been sparring with you on other threads.

I am known on here for trying to help out with mechanical issues. And for doing so with a degree of humility.

Hint, hint.

:smoking:

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Does it stop accelerating or smooth out after you pick up speed? If it smooths out I think you may be in 2nd gear. Otherwise these bikes are a bitch in first gear if you haven't bled the clutch properly. I would look at a linkage diagram and see if something looks wrong. Re bleed your lines and try again. If you have air in the lines your clutch won't disengage properly with a lever pull and could be grabbing at low rpms which is helping to slow the engine speed and give it that stalling and jerking.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As you guys said I wasn't in first gear. I was in 6th and I was finding some invisible Neutral in between 5th an 6th. I also had the shift-lever on the opposite direction so it seemed like I was down shifting when I actually was up-shifting.
:violin:

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
As you guys said I wasn't in first gear. I was in 6th and I was finding some invisible Neutral in between 5th an 6th. I also had the shift-lever on the opposite direction so it seemed like I was down shifting when I actually was up-shifting.
:violin:
Reverse shift. Lol.

·
Banned
235 Posts
:popcorn:

·
Registered
610 Posts
Patt, dont waist your time on people that are not worth it....I know this guy, a complete clown know it all type of guy that was banned from other forums for this same reason.

tye, you have no idea what you're talking about ....what dont you come back to whatever you came from?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts