Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question, I have a 2012 848EVO is the core SE ohlins shock a big improvement over the showa on my EVO? Or would it only be worth upgrading to a TTX36?

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
You should be able to find a 12 or 13 Corse Ohlins shock for 500 to 700?? And a TTX is triple that...

Now, I've ridden with stock Showa and the DU515 (stock Corse Ohlins) but not a TTX.

The difference between the Showa and the Ohlins DU515 is pretty dramatic...

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should be able to find a 12 or 13 Corse Ohlins shock for 500 to 700?? And a TTX is triple that...

Now, I've ridden with stock Showa and the DU515 (stock Corse Ohlins) but not a TTX.

The difference between the Showa and the Ohlins DU515 is pretty dramatic...

That's what I'm looking to know about the du515, In fact the only reason I didn't buy a corse SE is because of the paint. I love the red 848 Evo. Please tell me more about the difference if you can. much appreciated

·
Registered
765 Posts
Bought the 30mm cartridge and TTX MKII as a set for $2200 from Dan Kyle after reading numerous posts about the OEM Ohlins not being all that great. If there is anything worth spending money on, this is it.

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
The stock DU515 isn't a bad shock, but its not setup properly stock. So you'd have to send it in, get it re-valved and re-sprung. If you start to do the math at how much it would cost to do that vs sell the DU515 and buy a TTX36MKII DU931, you'll be happier with the latter. The DU931 is $1200 USD if you don't get a deal, but if you look around, you can get them for much less then that. Plus it will come with the right spring from whoever you buy it from.

Dan Kyle's cartridge/shock deal is what I'd go with. The forks are just as problematic as the shock is.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The stock DU515 isn't a bad shock, but its not setup properly stock. So you'd have to send it in, get it re-valved and re-sprung. If you start to do the math at how much it would cost to do that vs sell the DU515 and buy a TTX36MKII DU931, you'll be happier with the latter. The DU931 is $1200 USD if you don't get a deal, but if you look around, you can get them for much less then that. Plus it will come with the right spring from whoever you buy it from.

Dan Kyle's cartridge/shock deal is what I'd go with. The forks are just as problematic as the shock is.

Thanks Tye, guess i'll just wait and buy the ttx.What kind of difference would you feel between ttx and stock showa? I've raced and road many different shocks but have never went from stock to ohlins on the same bike. we mostly used fox and latter enski (that letter just quit working on key board)

·
Registered
399 Posts
i put ohlins forks,ttx rear shock and link from dan kyle and all i can say is the difference is night and day! I'm glad i did because was not very impressed with the way the bike handled from the factory! the bike is way over sprung and to adjust the rebound damping is just stupid to try and adjust it!

·
Registered
828 Posts

Yeah, I just swapped out the stock Ohlins for the TTX and Tye and I exchanged PMs about the same topic.

The new TTX is more than $1200 though Tye. I spoke to the source you recommended and $1275 was the best they could do, couldn't find it cheaper anywhere else either.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
As I understand the issue, the real reason to go with the TTX is to use the Corse type linear link, a flatter design, a different progression as the OEM shock link. To install the link there should be a shorter eye, and two sizes up stiffer spring. (you can also buy the shock from Ohlins with the updated kit for the linear link as well as the eye and proper spring rate). This set up, plus the 25mm Ohlins Kit in the front forks, (or 30mm now) is a great combination, plus properly set up sag, ride height, etc. For riding around on the street, even two up, the OEM suspension is just fine. Going to ride your bike on the track? Trackdays? Racing? Get the best stuff to do what it is intended, going faster, safely as possible. Then the next conversation, or maybe the first, should be money spent on race tires, if you are headed to the track.

·
Registered
828 Posts
As I understand the issue, the real reason to go with the TTX is to use the Corse type linear link, a flatter design, a different progression as the OEM shock link. To install the link there should be a shorter eye, and two sizes up stiffer spring. (you can also buy the shock from Ohlins with the updated kit for the linear link as well as the eye and proper spring rate). This set up, plus the 25mm Ohlins Kit in the front forks, (or 30mm now) is a great combination, plus properly set up sag, ride height, etc. For riding around on the street, even two up, the OEM suspension is just fine. Going to ride your bike on the track? Trackdays? Racing? Get the best stuff to do what it is intended, going faster, safely as possible. Then the next conversation, or maybe the first, should be money spent on race tires, if you are headed to the track.
There's more to a TTX than just the ability to run a linear link.

In fact, I think you can run a linear link with even the stock Ohlins, Dan Kyle modifies the shock (TTX or DU515) anyway.

Reactions: 219R

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Thanks Tye, guess i'll just wait and buy the ttx.What kind of difference would you feel between ttx and stock showa? I've raced and road many different shocks but have never went from stock to ohlins on the same bike. we mostly used fox and latter enski (that letter just quit working on key board)
After you mentioned that, I had to look at it closely and was pretty amazed that you made it a few sentences in without using the letter P! :D

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
There's more to a TTX than just the ability to run a linear link.
Thats correct, in fact, the TTX shock stock doesn't have the right length shaft to work with the corse links. This is why you've gotta use a shortened ride height adjuster when using the corse link to get the proper ride height.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts