Ducati.org forum banner

848 shut down engine while driving and cannot start! Please help!!!

2K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  Charles 
#1 · (Edited)
The engine automatically shut down while I was driving.
After that, i couldnt start anymore.

- its 11k miles, full tank, oil changed last month.
- battery is 12.5 when hitting starter
- No code display on screen
- it cranks but wont start!

Here is the link of my bikes problem!

Please help!

#3 ·
Could be a multitude of things. My first assumption would be the ECU is not getting power (blown fuse perhaps) or is damaged. Or, it could be the fuel pump (again, check your fuses). Without getting too deeply involved, that's where I'd start. Good luck and please let us know if you find the problem.

#11 · (Edited)
http://www.ducati.org/forums/848/52390-2008-848-cranks-won-t-start.html
A post concerning the fuel pump issue and one person's successful fix.

As far as the ECU, maybe some other experts could chime in, but I'm not sure of any way to "check" it other than having the software or finding the power circuit to the ECU and checking for voltage there. A schematic search would be beneficial. The only reason I suggested the ECU is because I hooked up a Bazazz unit, which is a piggy-back unit to the ECU, that draws it's power from the tail light circuit. When I removed the tail light fuse, the bike acted exactly as yours does (cranks, pumps fuel, but will not start) because there is a presumed power-interrupt to the ECU because of the Bazazz.

I've searched around the forums and the fuel hose which Charles alludes to seems to be an easy fix if it is the issue. Loosen the fuel tank and check the security of the hoses underneath the fuel pump assembly. If you need to go further, just remove the fuel tank, drain the tank, pull out the pump assembly and check for security of the connections there, as well as the fuel pump itself.
The other items that could be the culprit, as unobvious as it seems are: the battery, spark plugs, TPS sensor, etc.

Of course, everyone has their breaking point. By now, my impatience would probably have forced me to throw in the towel and go see the dealer. You're more strong-willed and patient than me. I hope you get it fixed soon.

#19 · (Edited)
Glad you found the culprit. Let us know if you need any help fixing it. Pat1098, one of the members here (who hopefully will return after he completes a little 'furlough'), encouraged me to replace the OEM clamps with fuel injector hose clamps. All that's covered in my full repair video too.

Have fun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.