Ducati.org forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
No I mean a 30 degree offset triple. I have never used a longer swingarm. I used others and found them not to be as effective as the 30. Above you had mentioned the raising the front by pushing the forks down. Whenever you raise the CG it makes it effectively top heavy which makes the bike and I hate the word flickable. But never have I raised the front and left the rear alone. I have raised them relative to each other.

The fork offset dimension is measured in mm, not degrees.
Also, reread my post where I say:
"The front and rear ride heights should be increased equal amounts."

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm going from aftermarket triple clamps (SpeedyMoto) to OEM because the lowers were damaged in a low side. I understand how changing the geometry or suspension settings would impact how the bike rides but how does changing the triple clamps improve the bikes handling? It would appear whether OEM or aftermarket triples they perform the same function in the same way. What am I missing?
Adjustable tripples allow you to use a different offset (the distance from the centre of the steering stem to the cente of the forks.) Its all about achieving the correct amount of trail. So the more trail you have the more traction and "feel" you get. A bike with 100-105mm trail will feel much more planted and the steering will require more input (heavier) than a standard Duc which i think is about 95mm'ish if you measure it (depending on ride height).
When you enter a turn and start to lose the front, ideally you feel it when the steering goes light, so if your steering is already very light when the traction drops away its hard to detect, But with the correct amount of trail you start with a heavier feel or more resistance though the bars, so as the front starts to go you can feel the loss of traction of the light feeling much easier.
Think of trail like the caster effect of a shopping cart wheel, the bigger the offset of the caster the more the wheel wants to self center.
The problem with the 848/1098 is they have a 36mm offset standard, so very low trail and you go into a turn and it runs wide (doesn't finish the turn). I hated my bike with the standard steering head,
To make it turn you typically want to rasie the reay to put weight on the front, but the problem is you reduce your trail even further so you can in some cases actually get less traction. So by using a lower offset steering head, you can get the balance right with the ride height then set the offset to give you ther required amout of trail. I started at 28mm and now run 26. From memory Troy Baylis ran around 25mm offset on his bikes. You can potentially also get a steering head off a Hypermotard as i think they are 30mm offset?? 30mm is a big improvement but i found 26 or 28 was better for me again as i have the rear very high with alot of weigh on the front. I use an IMA, but i know guys with adjustable tripples from Foresaken Motorsport and they are also great (i use their flat rate link).

21 - 24 of 24 Posts