Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Riding home from work my bike got stuck in I think 4th. The lever is physically stuck I can't move it with my hands or feet. It's also stuck in a downwards position and I had to some how ride home like that! Very challenging. Any ideas? Please don't tell me my gearbox is screwed :'(

Auto part Automotive exhaust Exhaust system Muffler Engine

Auto part Vehicle Tire Brake Wheel

Pipe Auto part Fuel line Cable Vehicle

Auto part Tire Automotive exterior Wheel Automotive wheel system

·
Court Jester
12,114 Posts
Shift paw is out of adjustment, damaged, or you need to do the service bulletin. Sorry I deleted my old threads.

This link is for a spring upgrade aftermarket but it shows you how to install / adjust the shift paw. It's not a great page let it load and be sure to scroll all the way through reading and looking at pictures on how to adjust.

Ducati Shift Return Spring Kit, easier shifting, Factory Pro 800 869-0497 079913110 and 079913125 and 079920375

But you may need / should upgrade with the SB if you don't have it. Post number 13

http://www.ducati.org/forums/technical/62709-shift-paw.html

·
Registered
529 Posts
Tchase probably hit the nail on the head. Shift mechanism mis-alignment is a well documented problem on these bikes. Fortunately it is a fairly easy fix. If you're comfortable doing your own work you should be fine, if not you might need to find some help. There's a special tool required to get the alternator side crank case cover off, and if you need to remove the flywheel, another one for that (plus access to a decent impact wrench helps too). When it goes back on, you'll need to torque the flywheel nut down to 330nm, so a torque wrench is required as well.

If the shift paw bolts simply worked loose causing the mis-alignment, you might not have to remove the flywheel. You will need to get it aligned back up properly and re-tighten/torque the two bolts holding it in place. If you get the upgrade kit mentioned in the Service Bulletin, you will have to remove the flywheel.

Can't promise you when, but I will be putting together a how-to video on this issue some time this winter...

In the meantime, here are some pics to help you visualize the problem a little better:

Attachments

·
Court Jester
12,114 Posts
Excellent instructions as usual Charles! I would only add that in my experience once it goes out of adjustment it will keep going if it doesn't have the SB or upgraded parts and or there is a broken spring or the paw is damaged. The OP didn't list the year so I'm not sure. If he has an EVO he might just need to adjust it.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry guys it's a standard 2009 model. Thanks for all the resources @tchase and @charles it's extremely helpful. I am glad the problem is identified but it looks a bit daunting to be honest. I've done small work myself but nothing like this. I may strip it down and give it ago until I start to feel uncomfortable. I guess I can't damage it anymore than it all ready is lol.

·
Court Jester
12,114 Posts
Sorry guys it's a standard 2009 model. Thanks for all the resources @tchase and @charles it's extremely helpful. I am glad the problem is identified but it looks a bit daunting to be honest. I've done small work myself but nothing like this. I may strip it down and give it ago until I start to feel uncomfortable. I guess I can't damage it anymore than it all ready is lol.

I know the 2008 does not have the upgraded parts like the Evo not sure when the evo came out but I know at least 2012.

I can't remember if you posted mileage. But my 2008 engine went out around 4-5k miles I adjusted it got another 3k miles and it went out again. I swiped the one off my 2012 and that fixed it.

It's a bigger job than changing your oil for sure a fair amount to disassemble and you have to seal the case cover its not going to be a cheap fix at a dealer pulling a number out of my ass I'd say $500.00. It really should be an extended warranty couldn't hurt to have the dealer ask DNA for a good will warranty.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7,322 Posts
IF,... it is not the shift mechanism/linkage, I would, unfortunately, suggest it might be a bent shift/gear fork.... hope it is the easier solution of the linkage.

·
Registered
529 Posts
If you've done small work before there's no reason to pass up this opportunity to learn more about your bike. Here's my suggestion: Go online and buy the alternator cover puller tool, like the HDESA one in the pic below (approx. $20); that's the only special tool you need to take an initial look inside. If you order the tool, I will make an effort to finish my Shift Mechanism Repair video that will walk you through this step-by-step.

You may find that it's as easy as lining up and re-tightening the two bolts that secure the shift mechanism. If it's bigger than that, or you want to install the upgrade kit from Ducati, the job will be more extensive, but I'll cover that in my video as well...

Attachments

·
Registered
529 Posts
What other kind of videos do you make, Charles?
Primarily track riding and motorcycle maintenance. I like to document as I learn and do, and share the videos with other like-minded riders who want to start doing their own maintenance.

Thanks T!

Subscribed...because awesome. Tchase, thanks for the link.
Tokyolow, I believe you may have been my 500th subscriber... Party time! :dance:

... OK, the party is over. OP, I browsed through my footage and I should have plenty to put together a decent video. It'll take me a few days, hopefully it'll be completed next week some time. I'll post it up in the How To section of the forum.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I realize this is getting a bit off topic, but Charles, I just wanted to let you know that I used your video to install the HM Annitori quickshifter on my bike (had no idea you were the guy). Install went off without a hitch. Your videos are truly helpful. Thank you very much. Pete
Oh yeah, and party time!!!

·
Registered
527 Posts
What other kind of videos do you make, Charles?

You may not wanna know;)

I've had a stuck/out of adjustment happen on the track. Not fun.

Charles makes some good vids and tutorials. Wish I could have finished my tranny replacement myself and I would have documented it.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm on 17000 miles bought it on 15500. Either way I'll get the upgraded part. My main concern is re sealing the engine I didn't even think about that until you mentioned it. If that's not done properly it could be fatal to my engine right?
I didn't realise you're a YouTube start chase I will subscribe now! I need to change my neutral switch I think at the moment I have to keep moving the wire near the rear shock so the bike realised its in neutral do you have any knowledge on the difficulty of changing that?

·
Court Jester
12,114 Posts
I'm on 17000 miles bought it on 15500. Either way I'll get the upgraded part. My main concern is re sealing the engine I didn't even think about that until you mentioned it. If that's not done properly it could be fatal to my engine right?
I didn't realise you're a YouTube start chase I will subscribe now! I need to change my neutral switch I think at the moment I have to keep moving the wire near the rear shock so the bike realised its in neutral do you have any knowledge on the difficulty of changing that?

Fatal? You'd have to do a really really bad job, worst case you'd have a small leak and need to do it again.

Take your time clean both surfaces, apply the sealant properly, torque it down in sequence so you don't squeeze sealant out. The idea is to have a little squeeze out. I wipe off the excess but it's very minimal.

Wait the 24 hours for it to cure leave your fairings off, go for a test ride. Come back check for leaks if none wait for the bike to cool down check again. Practice makes perfect, it not technical it's just time, and as you get better it will take less time and you'll makes less mistakes.

If you are going to work on it, down load the workshop manual grab a beer and read the section. It's all there along with this forum and Charles videos!

Ducati tends to improve ones mechanical skills over the ownership.
Or you have deep pockets or you move on.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You make it sound so easy! But I'm sold. I have the technical manual which I used to change the gold fairing bracket but I found the picture quality rather poor and there wasn't as much information or videos as there was for the monster. Anyway I'll subscribe and keep an eye out for your video and order the required tools this week. Thanks very much!!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.