Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentleman,
Im curiuos to see anyone's recommendations as to what numbers ie preload,compression,rebound they run on their 848 with stock suspension.
Myself I am in a whirlwind of information with my mind on what to do with mine.I am not interested in upgrading the suspension that's not in the budget.Maybe a ride height adjuster
Myself 80kg with gear ,I like to hit the twisty roads roughly once a month and use the tyres all the way to the edge thou I still dont get my knee down It must be a fear of going further or my style is wrong.
With all this the bike feels as if the front wants to push in corner's when leaning over so I have to counter steer alot, and at high speed it's stable thou if I hit a bump or rut it becomes unstable quite easy.This becomes quite the workout even with the steering dampner at it's hardest setting. What to do .
Does getting a ride height adjuster lifting the rear and lowering the front forks in the triple clamps increase trail to a better number? that's with the right measurements
I appreciate any feedback

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do with the stock components. The rear end of these bikes is completely messed up out of the factory. Not only the rear link ratio, but the shock damping AND spring rates are setup for 2 people on board, not a single rider. There is no way to make a shock which works for 200kg (two people) vs 80kg (one person).

The forks suffer from a completely different issue. The spring rates aren't bad, but the bike is over dampened stock. Even if you turn the compression all the way out, its still way too stiff in the front.

Hopefully someone will come on here and give you a setting thats better then OEM. However, to resolve your issues, will require an entire re-work of the rear end and some minor work with the forks. I never found any setting that worked on my 848, but I'm a tiny bit lighter then you are, around 68kg.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
With all this the bike feels as if the front wants to push in corner's when leaning over so I have to counter steer alot, and at high speed it's stable thou if I hit a bump or rut it becomes unstable quite easy.This becomes quite the workout even with the steering dampner at it's hardest setting. measurements
One thing that makes it hard to diagnose handling issues and make changes to solve them is language.

I would define "push" as any condition in which the front wheel gives reduced steering effect. This can happen when accelerating out of a corner: accelerating makes the front wheel light, which reduces its grip. As a result, the machine runs wide.

It can also happen during corner entry, caused by excessive weight transfer to the front, overloading the front tyre. Thus, braking to the apex can often cause pushing.

This doesn't seem to match what you're describing.

Certainly increasing the amount of steering damping is not the way to go here — and tipping the bike on its nose by raising rear ride height or lowering front ride height will reduce steering effort but carries a penalty of reduced steering stability in the corners.

One thing that riding school does is help separate bike suspension issues from rider technique issues. Often as skill level rises the suspension set-up needs change.

You need to be honest in assessing your riding skills. As they improve over time so will your suspension needs change to match your riding technique. Your particular riding technique will play a big part in refining your suspension settings. If you are an average rider, sticking with the factory recommended settings will probably be best.

But feel free to experiment. One change at a time. First reset everything back to the stock settings stock, and try a different single setting until you develop a feel for the differences resulting from each change and the sensitivity of the bike to each click on the adjuster. Always use the same road to evaluate your changes. This seat-of-the-pants testing is highly subjective so don't be surprised if your feelings about the changes are different the next time you ride. Even without any interim changes, there are days that you know that you're riding well and the suspension is just right, and days that you're not in the groove. Given that you're not an experienced test rider, you'll find that YOU are the biggest variable.

Consequently, you should probably avoid using suspension settings developed by other riders, specifically motorcycle magazine test riders who commonly tweak each new bike's suspension settings in an attempt to improve on factory settings, and then publish the results. These settings may actually be an improvement for one particular rider on one particular track but the factory settings are still the best overall comfort-performance trade-off for the average rider on an average road.

For example, a review of a dozen magazine tests of Ducati superbike compression and rebound damper settings showed that even though there is a wide variation between riders, their settings average out to the factory recommended settings. So it looks like Ducati knows its business.

If you're an experienced rider who's attended an advanced riding school, then you've developed and practiced a riding technique that works well for you, so you'll obviously want to tweak your suspension to match your riding style.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Set the sag.

At 80kg you should be able to get something decent in the front with stock spring. Its not ideal but decent.

In the back you will need to back off all preload. But to make it work right a new spring would be better.

I run more compression dampening up front than the factory setting.

·
Banned
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shazaam
Thanks for the info and thankyou all for your reply's
Trying to understand whats going on with the bike and understanding what word to use to describe what Im feeling when riding is my mistake if its wrong.
When cornering say going left leaning over the front left handgrip feels as if it wants to come in towards me as if the front wants to push away from under me.Thou this does not happen all the time and remembering what Im doing at the time while riding is something I will have to spend time to find out and adjust to suit.
Im just trying to get my head around the different factors of suspension tuning to match the environment I ride without spending lots of money on a bike that already cost me alot.
Thanks for the advice I appreciate every bit.

·
Banned
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
blablac,
I have been trying to get someone to help me set the sag which I have no problem doing, just dont have anyone to assist me and the local ducati dealer are a bunch of dicks.
Do you know of any preload setting to get it set to my weight of 80kg with gear.
I was thinking I would have to set the rear all the way to the top of the collar and with the front have it set with 6 lines showing.
What do you think???

·
Official Site Vendor
1,032 Posts
Shazaam
Thanks for the info and thankyou all for your reply's
Trying to understand whats going on with the bike and understanding what word to use to describe what Im feeling when riding is my mistake if its wrong.
When cornering say going left leaning over the front left handgrip feels as if it wants to come in towards me as if the front wants to push away from under me.Thou this does not happen all the time and remembering what Im doing at the time while riding is something I will have to spend time to find out and adjust to suit.
Im just trying to get my head around the different factors of suspension tuning to match the environment I ride without spending lots of money on a bike that already cost me alot.
Thanks for the advice I appreciate every bit.
At 80kgs, the stock 848 springs are pretty close to what you need, so don't worry about buying anything at this time. A basic set up is key here.

Listening(ha) to what you said in your thread, you mentioned push, however described it completely different. That's OK as I always take the description into account. For example:

"When cornering say going left leaning over the front left handgrip feels as if it wants to come in towards me"

Perfect! Typically when the bar(clip on) closest to your position and turning direction wants to come at you, it's telling you the size of the front tire's contact patch is too large, creating too much deviation between both edges of the tire. This deviation increases slip angle on the side receiving the higher amount of force form the ground.

Think of it like a wing(slip stream). Slow air rises over the wing, while faster air slips under the flatter part of the wing, creating lift, making the wing rise in the air. The same theory with the tire to the ground. The slower part of the tire's travel(due to the extra force) makes the tire go in that direction. Since we know we counter steer to turn in a given direction that side of the tire is the side of the direction you are travelling.

So I digress. You are turning left, your clip on wants to come back towards you, it is saying your tire may be too low of air, creating the extra large contact patch. This is also associated with the bike being very difficult to turn in to a corner under braking, but feeling very stable when going in a straight line(forward).

I hope this helps for this portion of your question.

·
Registered
338 Posts
blablac,
I have been trying to get someone to help me set the sag which I have no problem doing, just dont have anyone to assist me and the local ducati dealer are a bunch of dicks.
Do you know of any preload setting to get it set to my weight of 80kg with gear.
I was thinking I would have to set the rear all the way to the top of the collar and with the front have it set with 6 lines showing.
What do you think???
80kg here without gear. I have 5 big lines showing on the front preload adjuster. Giving me 33mm of sag up front (empty gas tank, race suit on but no boots or helmet). But the bike is a little lighter than stock.

Stock rear spring I had it backed out all the way but I was a little lighter back then.

Anyway there are a lot of things to take into account as you can tell from this thread.

This link will help you a bit as well:

Motorcycle Suspension Set-up

The zip tie method describded while not ideal might help.

Double check your tire pressure - old gages tend to be off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts