Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there fellas!
I have 848 evo for about three years now. I read a lot about 848 understeering (running wide/not leaning), I have been facing the same issue - I almost get scared during a turn, as I feel bike will give up on me if I lean. So, pretty much I will drop to first gear and try to go as straight as possible.
I took the suggestion of lot of people and made changes (from a pro - JPH) to suspension, esp front as it was set horribly. Bike is little better with the new setting but I still piss my pants during turns. I have tried many adjustments removing preload, adding preload, tire pressure combination etc...It is just not working. I tried one of my friend's 848 where he has put triple clamp and I felt a lot better on that motorcycle, I had a grin on my face for the first time riding ducati. But he rode my bike and he seemed comfortable leaning or all other aspects of bike etc..
1. I just have 3k miles on my bike - is it the confidence issue and need to learn more?
2. Has anybody had similar situation and added triple clamp. I really want to enjoy my bike and ready to add triple clamp - does it really make that big of difference? what exactly changes adding triples and how it affects bike better handling?
3. What bugs me is - with just minor deviations (suspension, trial etc) in adjustments, the bike feels foreign (thats what I read too many places), is that true for Ducati?.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I want make mods to my bike and planning to ride all summer.....I just miss having fun while riding....touching those knee on asphalt...:)

Thanks - ken

·
Court Jester
12,112 Posts
Bone stock and mine has gave me nothing but confidence going into a turn. Sorry I've got no answer for you :(

·
Registered
19 Posts
Have you had it in to a suspension shop?
If all you settings (preload, sag, comp and rebound damping and fork position in triple clamps) are the same as your mates bike it should feel pretty similar.
If not you could check your fork oil level, push down on the rear of the bike and see if comp and rebound feel similar to your mates bike.
Are your tyres worn/evenly worn?
Drop the front and lift the rear will make it drop into the corner, opposite will make you run wide.

·
Registered
378 Posts
You are correct about the triples... get adjustable triples or 30mm offset triples... stock offset is 36mm... with the stock 24.5 degree head angle 30mm works well.

Most people don't believe this, even seasoned mechanics and racers, so here it is in the Ducati RS Manual:

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
are you riding on the street or track. Do you know what the front and rear sag settings are? Have you changed the sprockets, dropped any teeth?

Art & Science: Fun With Geometry | Sport Rider
I mostly ride on the street and canyons, but I do want to take it for track - I am not sure my bike can handle it...
Never changed the sprocket. do i need to? how does it help? I see you have the same bike....whats your story in terms of handling.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you had it in to a suspension shop?
If all you settings (preload, sag, comp and rebound damping and fork position in triple clamps) are the same as your mates bike it should feel pretty similar.
If not you could check your fork oil level, push down on the rear of the bike and see if comp and rebound feel similar to your mates bike.
Are your tyres worn/evenly worn?
Drop the front and lift the rear will make it drop into the corner, opposite will make you run wide.
Yes, I took it to the suspension shop. JPH suspension in San Jose (he is pretty popular). He told me rear shock preload/comp/sag is fine, but removed front preload by two rounds. Now the suspension is soft and little better in cornering - not signifcant change. I did remove preload 2 and 4 more turns...it was pretty much same and I felt bike was less stable.
I havent added triple clamp but my friend has - even when I rode his bike it was definitely better but no where I could lean the bike like or even close to motogp...i felt it was little running wide too...so, I am not sure adding triple clamp would make dramatic difference or achieve the same results from changing different aspect of the bike...?
My tires are pretty new - its the stock pirelli supercorsa tire. It is definetly not evenly worn especially on sides - as I never lean...would that make a huge difference?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Outside of triples, raise the front close to the top of the forks or just below.

Also... once you change the triples, you may want to raise the ride height in the back, but stay within the limits of the Ducati ride height specs using the ride height tool.

You can also try to shift the CG of the bike forward by investing in lightweight subframe and rear under tray, those are pretty heavy, and that helps a little.

·
Court Jester
12,112 Posts
How is all that work/investment justified for street/canyon riding? I'm sorry the bike may be vastly improved by changing the triples, forks, rear spring. But the bike stock with a sag adjustment is all that should be needed for street use and still feel confident. The only time mine doesn't want to go into a turn is when my front tire is cupped and the rear has a flat spot.

What it sounds like is many adjustments were done and now it might well be way off.

I'm absolutely the worst person when it comes to the bike set up. But with all I've read you do small adjustments one at a time.

Confidence is key I get that but my advice is get the bike set back up to factory make sure your tires are right and then start working the problem.

It's your cash, good thing is the advice on this forum is free, so take it ALL with a grain of salt.

Btw are you the only owner? Is everything stock (sprockets etc..)?

How many miles on the tires?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Well, if your buddy rode it and didn't feel anything odd, I think it might be a lil mental more than bike set-up. You probably felt comfortable on his just because you know he has off-set triples. If your bike is as bad as you say it is, your friend should have noticed a dramatic difference coming off of his bike with aftermarket triples. IDK, but TCHASE's suggestion of going back to STOCK settings and working from there is a good idea, making small changes at a time, one thing at a time...

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Anyone suggesting this guy change triples on a Ducati Superbike before learning how to actually ride is just nonsense. An average rider can take a stock 848 at a hell of a speed through the most demanding of canyon roads. If you had a suspension shop set your sag and compression/rebound settings then put the settings back to where they set it and leave it. Check tire wear, tire pressures, and if that checks out then it's all you pal. I would strongly suggest taking Superbike school or a track day and the new rider school. If you're tensing up in a corner you are causing the bike to misbehave. You need to learn how to lean your bike and feel comfortable with lowering your proximity to the ground. This can be difficult to do with distractions like oncoming traffic and canyon walls/cliffs. I was in your shoes just 5 years ago. Hang in there and don't be discouraged!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Garrett? You back in the land of the living? Did you sue the F out of that driver and are now independently wealthy?

+1 Garrett's comment.

If you are stressed, you stiffen up, and you load your suspension rather than assisting it and it reduces your potential for traction. Your traction gets worse, then you stiffen up more... Think of it as a negative feedback loop.

do a basic check of the bike, and then get some professional instruction.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Garrett? You back in the land of the living? Did you sue the F out of that driver and are now independently wealthy?

+1 Garrett's comment.

If you are stressed, you stiffen up, and you load your suspension rather than assisting it and it reduces your potential for traction. Your traction gets worse, then you stiffen up more... Think of it as a negative feedback loop.

do a basic check of the bike, and then get some professional instruction.

Hi Rusty,
The other driver didn't have shit for coverage so I'll be lucky to get all my medical bills paid for and a small stipend for getting kicked down the road by an SUV. But i did get a new bike finally and I'll post some pics when she arrives this week!!! Negative feedback loop is spot on.
For the OP, you won't believe what a single training day on track pushing your limits comfortably will do for your skills. If you can afford an 848 you can afford the track fees, gear, and bike rental to do it right. And your baby can stay in the garage till your ready to show her what you learned! Oh, and read twist of the wrist cover to cover twice. While riding audibly speak the teachings to yourself. When I was new I literally told myself, "look through the turn" over and over up the canyon runs!!! I promise some of the bikes perceived inability to turn is you letting your concentration look away from the turn because of fear of missing it.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.