Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welp, I've checked out some similar threads related to this...here's my issue:

Turn the key over, nothing. No lights, no noise, nada, zip. Kill switch toggle is fine.

This seems so random. The bike was perfectly fine. I did ride it in heavy rain the last ride, but it had no issues when I got home. I just noticed it the next evening when I tried to start it up.

Is there any troubleshooting vids or good instructional threads with a series of how-to's that I can run through to detect the problem? I will take the voltmeter to the battery first thing after work.

I am severely limited on time and daylight due to work and this is my first Ducati, so there's that issue.

Any initial advise? The issue happened at some point while the bike was off, as it worked perfectly fine prior to.

Thanks!

This is depressing.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I know water under the key shroud where the immobilzer ring sits can cause problems.

I'm not sure though if those problems are the same as you are experiencing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like it might apply to my situation...anyone?

I haven't taken this bike apart very much so I know it will take me a while so I am hoping to hit the most-probable areas first.

Thanks!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update: got home pulled battery - dead. Put it on a charger and it seems to hold.

Charged it up a little and put on bike just to see if I would get anything. I did.

Immediately upon placing the terminals from the bike on the battery my fan starts running and it won't stop. What is this? Strange.

I put the charge with the battery back on the bike, but the fans still will not stop running.

When I turn the key over it appears the fans slow, but still run. I'm guessing this somehow drained my battery. A bit confused.

Anyone?

Thanks
-Mike

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Yea, it could be a bad fan relay. It's on the right side of the battery box on the 848. I'd just pull it, make sure there isn't any water in the connector, maybe put some dialectic grease on it and throw it back together. I doubt it's gone bad, but it can absolutely go wonky if there is water around. These bikes don't like water of any kind unfortunately. :(

·
Court Jester
12,080 Posts
been caught in the rain, and wash mine once a month, never had an issue. It's possible water could be the problem but likely because something isn't installed correctly allowing the water to get where it's not suppose to go.

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
or it is not related to H20,..... coincidental maybe....could be magic!!!

Reactions: Tchase

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, what do you know.

It was just the battery.

How on earth it made my bike go bonkers is beside me, but it's up and running without issue.

I guess batteries and just crap out on such short notice. The strange thing is that I put it on the charger and it was holding its charge last night; I will know if this is still the case when I get home from work today.

So far the bike has been entirely problem free...I thought I just bit a bullet there for a little.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts