Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
if it's an 851 strada then $12-13.5K. If it's an SP4 so one of the numbered 888's then one failed to sell this week in the US. There are only 4 known over there. Bidding ended at $23100 and did not meet reserve. Ask was 30k. ( which is high )
In Europe where there are more available you would expect to pay between $22k and $27k.

I was offered a mint SP5 for $22k just over a week ago.

·
Banned
133 Posts
Just wondering, what did it cost when it came from the factory, and why is the SP4 so special? What would its current equivalent be? The SL or the R?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's a good question. I'm not sure of the answer though.

I think, and it's a guess, they were double the cost of standard 851 / 888 at the time. In Oz, they were high $20k vs about $15k.

In theory they are probably the equivalent of today's R but probably more the SL vs the base Pani in that they had quite different parts then the base in addition to engine upgrades (mostly suspension upgrades). They were made for Ducati's World Superbike entry, like Honda had the RC30, Yamahas OWO1 and Kawasaki's ZXR RR.

They are probably over rated by many, but popular to those who grew up at the time WSB started.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Just wondering, what did it cost when it came from the factory, and why is the SP4 so special? What would its current equivalent be? The SL or the R?
I would say the SP4 would be the equivalent of a R model in todays standards .
There was also a 888 SP4S which is more like the SL of today .

·
Registered
547 Posts
A SP4 new price in Oz was $28995 in 1992, 500 units sold worldwide. A 851 strada was $21K the same year. SP4 was approx. 30% more expensive than the S, so comparable with the R in todays standards, price wise.

There was a limited production run of 100 of the 888SPS (aka SP4S). This was a factory Corse assembled road registered version for SBK homologation. A Corse with headlights! Not delivered to Oz, no price. Probably more rare/collectable than a Superleggara will ever be. Just sayin! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.