Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all im new to this site and was hoping somebody could help me out/point me in the right direction. I have a 2000 748s and have recently purchased a second hand 853 kit in good nick comes with pistons, barrels & whole cylinder heads including 'race cams' rockers, valves...blah,blah,blah Seller couldn't tell me whether they were after market cams or off a sportier model sps, R etc so my plan was for now just swap out the pistons and barrels and use my heads with stock cams until i can find out more about these 'race cams' However he cant find the Eprom chip that he was running and so i only have mine which is for 748 with open 45mm slip ons.
So basically does anybody know how badly it is likely to run with 853 kit and my eprom and where i can get hold of an eprom for 853 and price to expect? (i'm in the uk)

Alex

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Hey Alex, welcome to the forum!

FBF still makes Eproms. You can also get lucky sometimes on ebay.

The 853cc kit is very close to the 916, so I'd just run a 916 eprom for the 1.6M ECU.

Once you add the race cam's and exhaust, that's when things get more tricky. I had mild success with the 748SP chip, but I don't think it will work well with the cam's/exhaust. I added a power commander to my 748 so I could adjust it manually and was able to get some good results with that combo. The stock 748 chip could work fine if you were willing to run a power commander. The 916 chip for the M1.6 computer, would probably be your best bet though and a good starting position.

Maybe a 916SP chip will work?

Edit: forgot… 916SP is the P8! DOINK! never mind. :(

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Can you say.....wrong , again...just sayin....not-so-help...

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Whoops, yep, I forgot the 916SP is a P8. Considering I've never seen one in my entire life, considering it's a 20 year old machine and considering that piece of information was in the form of a question, (hence the question mark) I'd say the rest of my comment was spot on and should be tried. I bet I can even dig up my old 853 maps for the power commander III if I looked hard enough.

Though finding a power commander III that works, that's a whole other story! They were real pieces of junk, burned through 3 of them myself before I got an R motor and used the R Eprom from that day forward.

Edit: There is no reason to rub-in a minor mistake in a post full of great information. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Cuz A-Bob said so.....just sayin....:shrug:

Remember your front fork fiasco???....just askin....

Maybe you should go back and modify your post so you don't look like a dumb ass...just suggestin....

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Thank-you.....

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
A-Bob you are the MAN.....just sayin....

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
It's a whole new post.

The fingers are on autopilot and can't wait 5 mins before the brain clunks into gear.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
It's a whole new post.

The fingers are on autopilot and can't wait 5 mins before the brain clunks into gear.
Oh yeah!! The first post was "why not"... then another correcting, then a third, hell, I lost count!!! Everytime trying to cover his dumb shit like a cat in a cat box!!!... never seen anything like it.... well, yes, I have....just sayin....

What an ["expert" "helper"].....:laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
44 Posts
The 916 chip wont work well because the ignition timing is different between 748 and 916.
The standard 748 chip will work well enough to run the bike in and have a bit of fun.
Brad Black (bikeboy.org) does a fantastic chip for the 853. I've had one in mine for 3 or 4 years. Sensational.

·
Registered
97 Posts
As you are in the UK, you will get a chip from Jhp in Coventry, John has a library full of different chip and he will wright one for you, give him as much info as you can, my 853 has one fitted and runs perfect, I had the mixture adjusted after fitting. I think it cost around £50 but would have to check. Good luck.
Steve

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Is Brad still making those Eprom's?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cheers fellas much appreciated have a good few options to go with there thanks very much :)
ps really enjoying this forum loads of excellent stuff on here cant believe i didnt join earlier!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts