Ducati.org forum banner

81 - 100 of 117 Posts

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
And of the 7 year involvement, only owned two different Ducatis, a 749 and 848, and hasn't had either of those for the past 4-5 years. Which leaves 2-3 years of owning a Ducati motorcycle. Not quite a long lasting partnership,... more like a flash in the pan!!!
So now I've only owned two Ducati's?

You're really bad at remembering things.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
:sigh: that was back in the day when you could show up and get a demo. Today, things are so different, you've gotta practically be royalty to get a demo. :(

Ducati doesn't do local demo rides anymore either, so its hard to get a test ride unless you're serious at buying a bike.
Or just as long as you're nice and have insurance ;). Maybe in your area they don't, but around here (Ducati Omaha), they have a demo day about 2-3 times a year where they have all their demo bikes out and anyone can sign up to ride them (as long as you have a license and insurance). I don't know how true this is, but I've been told some companies, such as Ducati and Triumph require their dealers to allow people to take bikes for test-rides, whereas the japanese ones is more at the dealer's discretion. Here in my area, the Ducati dealer is the only place where I can go and test-ride any bike I want. Any of the Kawasaki/Yamaha/Suzuki/Honda dealers won't allow demo rides for sport bikes due to insurance reasons (probably some BS), and the BMW dealer will let you if you're very serious about buying something. I haven't been to the Triumph dealer since it's a couple of hours away, and we don't have an Aprilia dealer nearby, so I can't speak for them.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
So now I've only owned two Ducati's?

You're really bad at remembering things.
O dear my bad, 3. BTW did I tell you Bill Nation, owner of Pro-Italia, is one of my good friends, also sold a 1098R to yours truly, and delivered it to the MotGP races @ Indy in 2008 0r 2009???? Pro- Italia!!! Damn good guy.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
...I use to live at Pro Italia (my local Ducati dealer) and as a consequence, they let me borrow any used bike I wanted to ride and I'd go on super long demo rides, just trying different bikes, getting to know the lineup. Shit, I remember almost buying a supersport, that bike was awesome, but no match for my 748! heh ;)

:sigh: that was back in the day when you could show up and get a demo. Today, things are so different, you've gotta practically be royalty to get a demo. :(

Ducati doesn't do local demo rides anymore either, so its hard to get a test ride unless you're serious at buying a bike.

I'm calling Shenanigans. I'll hit up Bill and ask about this; 219R, likewise please?

Or just as long as you're nice and have insurance ;). Maybe in your area they don't, but around here (Ducati Omaha), they have a demo day about 2-3 times a year where they have all their demo bikes out and anyone can sign up to ride them (as long as you have a license and insurance). I don't know how true this is, but I've been told some companies, such as Ducati and Triumph require their dealers to allow people to take bikes for test-rides, whereas the japanese ones is more at the dealer's discretion. Here in my area, the Ducati dealer is the only place where I can go and test-ride any bike I want. Any of the Kawasaki/Yamaha/Suzuki/Honda dealers won't allow demo rides for sport bikes due to insurance reasons (probably some BS), and the BMW dealer will let you if you're very serious about buying something. I haven't been to the Triumph dealer since it's a couple of hours away, and we don't have an Aprilia dealer nearby, so I can't speak for them.

Word. I haven't come across a single Jap dealer that will test ride any of their bikes. Southbay and GP in SD will allow Demo Rides on the Demo only bikes, so if they don't have the model you want to try you may not get to ride it. Triumph also does it (Southbay), KTM (Southbay) and a couple of others but now we're venturing into the land of I don't care.

First off, people by Ducati Superbikes due to their looks, not their racing heritage or comfort...
Nah, this is BS. I got into Ducatis because of the 999/1098 on track and their wins. What drew me in was the ol' boys Rossi/Stoner going at it. I haven't seen some real action since then, and have pined off watching. I had zero interest in getting a new Duc because of the direction they are heading in. I don't like L Twins and their engine characteristics (but yes they make a lovely sound) and came from screamer fours/singles. I sat on a Duc loved the posturie, it suits me well and I moved on to preferring the dry clutch over wet.

I can go on, but you need to get a clue and not speak for others. Conduct a poll if need be and gather actual data, otherwise your dribble is about as useless as imaginable.

:popcorn:

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Or just as long as you're nice and have insurance ;). Maybe in your area they don't, but around here (Ducati Omaha), they have a demo day about 2-3 times a year where they have all their demo bikes out and anyone can sign up to ride them (as long as you have a license and insurance).
I think Ducati Newport wanted to do something like this at one point. But I've had many dealings with Ducati Omaha, back when Clayton worked there and they're awesome people. So I can see why they'd be "kool". We only have ONE good dealer in So Cal, thats Ducati Newport and its an hour away, and its by the beach, so there are no good "demo" roads, its MILES away from any highway, its all congestion. Pro Italia, my closest dealer, is 20 min away and has the highway right next to it and some great twists to test things with.

No, Ducati doesn't mandate test rides, we have many dealers which don't allow them. Heck Berts doesn't even let you SIT on the Ducati's without a representative present! :(

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
O dear my bad, 3. BTW did I tell you Bill Nation, owner of Pro-Italia, is one of my good friends, also sold a 1098R to yours truly, and delivered it to the MotGP races @ Indy in 2008 0r 2009???? Pro- Italia!!! Damn good guy.
Unfortunately, I've never seen that side of him. But then again, I was extremely vocal about being mistreated in the past by his employees.

One of my good friends and I went over there very recently so he could make an appointment for them to do an update. We walked into the service area where the ticket writers sit, there were two guys typing away. We stood there and nobody asked us if we needed any help. My friend went over to the counter, he rang the bell (the room is about 10x10, no way they just didn't see us) and the clerk put up his hand with the "one moment" single finger. The other clerk was busy typing away, we looked at him, he was clearly busy. We waited 15 minutes, gabbing to each other, right in front of these two guys and neither one of them could take 10 seconds and talk to us, so we left. He got on his brand new Panigale and I got on my buddies 748R and rode away.

That is the "typical" service you get at Pro Italia, of course, unless you roll up in a ferrari with a hot blonde in the front seat... that gets you attention.

Bill doesn't pay well enough to hire good guys, so pretty much everyone that works there, with the exception of two or three guys, are just grunt workers and its too bad. Back when I owned Ducati's, they had some fantastic staff, but they're LONG gone.

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
I can go on, but you need to get a clue and not speak for others. Conduct a poll if need be and gather actual data, otherwise your dribble is about as useless as imaginable.
Have you attended the Laguna Seca or Indy MotoGP race before? Have you gone to the parking lot and spent an hour or two looking through the bikes, seeing what bikes are there? Its mostly superbikes with "favorite racer" number plates or graphics.

Yet, Ducati has sold less Superbikes then Monsters.

So with that data in hand, one can assume the majority of Ducati owners, are not riding Superbikes, are not going to the races and therefore, probably didn't buy a Ducati due to the racing pedigree.

In terms of your pole, it would be worthless. I thought it through and figured the data would be skewed. Most of the people who frequent this forum are superbike riders, because we're the "out going" ones I gather. It seems the other sections of the forum are pretty dead, so the data would be very skewed. Plus, there aren't enough members on this forum to even represent a small portion of the riding community.

I don't doubt in Europe things are different as people are more attuned to racing.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Unfortunately, I've never seen that side of him. But then again, I was extremely vocal about being mistreated in the past by his employees.

One of my good friends and I went over there very recently so he could make an appointment for them to do an update. We walked into the service area where the ticket writers sit, there were two guys typing away. We stood there and nobody asked us if we needed any help. My friend went over to the counter, he rang the bell (the room is about 10x10, no way they just didn't see us) and the clerk put up his hand with the "one moment" single finger. The other clerk was busy typing away, we looked at him, he was clearly busy. We waited 15 minutes, gabbing to each other, right in front of these two guys and neither one of them could take 10 seconds and talk to us, so we left. He got on his brand new Panigale and I got on my buddies 748R and rode away.

That is the "typical" service you get at Pro Italia, of course, unless you roll up in a ferrari with a hot blonde in the front seat... that gets you attention.

Bill doesn't pay well enough to hire good guys, so pretty much everyone that works there, with the exception of two or three guys, are just grunt workers and its too bad. Back when I owned Ducati's, they had some fantastic staff, but they're LONG gone.
Pro-Italia has been a successful Ducati Dealer for decades!!! I have nothing but praise for the professional service I have always received!!!
I don't own a Ferrari, or a blonde, and I have had dedicated attention since I bought a bike from Pro-Italia,.. and, further, including purchasing bikes, parts, gear, advice, etc.. First class customer service.

Again, as I have said before, badmouthing our forum sponsors by your personal circumstances is in very bad form and should be grounds for your dismissal!!! I can't believe WERA allows you to continue your personal vendetta against Pro-Italia. I agree with the above poster, it is probably grounded on your typical self serving Bullshit, in which the ultimate goal is to draw attention to your sorry ass self!!!

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Sorry to get off topic, again!, but I could not, in good conscious, let that personal ty-rade go by without comment!!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Some people just give off an aura when they come through the door I think. I don't even live near Pro-Italia....hell I'm 2 states away but have been in there once and dealt with them for parts on several occasions and had the best of service.

Was down with some friends riding and had to get an oil change done as I was already over due and wouldn't be back home for a couple of weeks. Went in to Pro-Italia and walked up to the service counter and told him was from N.WA and was in bad need of an oil change. The guy wrote it up, said come back in a a couple of hrs and that was that. Bike was done when I came back from lunch.

I wanted an aluminium tank for my bike so called up Pro-Italia. Spoke to the guy in parts and mentioned my previous service and he looks up my info on his system and not only gave me a great deal on the tank, he shipped it to Blaine WA for me for free.

Sometimes the right cologne pays off I guess.

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Pro-Italia has been a successful Ducati Dealer for decades!!! I have nothing but praise for the professional service I have always received!!!
Unless I'm missing something, you have NEVER lived in Los Angeles. So how can you discuss their service without even being around the people. Ohh, because you have spent SOOO much time with them on the telephone? Give me a break.

I can't believe WERA allows you to continue your personal vendetta against Pro-Italia.
I have zero reason to lie, I have absolutely no "personal vendetta" against anyone. But when you screw with a friend of mine who recently spent $25,000 buying a new bike from you, then yes... I will speak my mind. All I'm trying to do is set the record straight because you're very confused about the actual truth. Its what happens when you have an "inside link" to the main man, you get the royal treatment and the truth is, not very many other people do.

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Was down with some friends riding and had to get an oil change done as I was already over due and wouldn't be back home for a couple of weeks. Went in to Pro-Italia and walked up to the service counter and told him was from N.WA and was in bad need of an oil change. The guy wrote it up, said come back in a a couple of hrs and that was that. Bike was done when I came back from lunch.
Yea, that was what the dealership use to be like. You use to be able to ride right over to them and drop your bike off for basic maintenance, go across the street have a sandwich, hang out look at the new bikes and your bike would be done.

Unfortunately, that's not how it is today.

I wanted an aluminium tank for my bike so called up Pro-Italia. Spoke to the guy in parts and mentioned my previous service and he looks up my info on his system and not only gave me a great deal on the tank, he shipped it to Blaine WA for me for free.
Well, yes the guys at parts counter are good peeps. Its the only reason I ever go there, to get parts when I'm in an emergency working on a customers bike and need something that moment. But I buy most of my parts online because they're A LOT CHEAPER then buying them from any dealer. Its an unfortunate consequence of today's economy and extremely high Los Angeles taxes.

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Back on topic...

I looked at an 899 last night at a dealer I was driving by. I was shocked at how many things they changed from the Panigale. Most of my concern was focused on the shock and link assembly. No adjustable rear link ratio and no adjustable ride height. The shock is 3/4 the size of the standard shock, looks like it belongs on a mini-cycle, not a superbike.

I was also depressed about the swing arm, they didn't even bother to make it a sealed design. In fact, there is a nice cutaway on the inside of the arm where dirt and most importantly, water can collect. It looks ultra heavy, there is no way they are shaving any weight by using that arm, its clearly a cost savings measure.

The wheels are also cast, yet again saving a few pennies.

The new calipers look OK, monoblock M4's I believe. They are mated with semi-floating rotors which look identical to the old ones on the 1098/1198.

Finally, look closely at the exhaust exit, its about 1/2 the size of the one on the 1199. That's scary to me, it clearly means they're seriously restricting the motor's potential and all of those gasses have to go somewhere, so they're generating back pressure which leads to heat. So it may even be a hotter bike to ride then the 1199. But with all the new protection, its hard to tell without riding them back to back on a good long ride somewhere.

Well, looking forward to riding one in the near future! Its for sure not what I expected, but then again, its an expensive bike to make so they had to cut costs somewhere.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Unless I'm missing something, you have NEVER lived in Los Angeles. So how can you discuss their service without even being around the people. Ohh, because you have spent SOOO much time with them on the telephone? Give me a break.

I have zero reason to lie, I have absolutely no "personal vendetta" against anyone. But when you screw with a friend of mine who recently spent $25,000 buying a new bike from you, then yes... I will speak my mind. All I'm trying to do is set the record straight because you're very confused about the actual truth. Its what happens when you have an "inside link" to the main man, you get the royal treatment and the truth is, not very many other people do.
Picture this, I have never met Dan Kyle, I have done a lot of business with Kyle Racing! No problems, gr8 service. Ditto MotoCourse. Ditto lots on good folks on this forum, ditto on Ebay! Ditto from lots other Ducati suppliers. No I don't live in all the places I do business!!! That argument is just plain Dumb! Most of the bikes I have bought, as well as parts, as well as service, came from, or I drove to the business!!! Why do I have to reside in a part of the country to qualify to spend my money? Again just plain Dumb!! Just because I know the owner of a certain business does mean I have respect, it is because I earned it, something you probably don't comprehend!

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Why do I have to reside in a part of the country to qualify to spend my money?
Bob, that is NOT what I said.

I said, to get "service" from a dealership, you do need to visit the dealership with your motorcycle on more then one occasion.

Just because I know the owner of a certain business does mean I have respect, it is because I earned it, something you probably don't comprehend!
You earned it by stuffing money into his pocket!!! Thats not earning it, thats PAYING for it!

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Bob, that is NOT what I said.

I said, to get "service" from a dealership, you do need to visit the dealership with your motorcycle on more then one occasion.

You earned it by stuffing money into his pocket!!! Thats not earning it, thats PAYING for it!
Oh I love to have good people make money from my business. Good business should make good money. Capitalism does work!!

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Oh I love to have good people make money from my business. Good business should make good money. Capitalism does work!!
Yes, but unfortunately, most people don't wear pants and jackets lined with hundred dollar bills. Pricing is king in todays world and believe it or not, vendors can still make exceptional profits without charging full price or a measly 5 - 10% discount, which in LA just covers the taxes, you're still paying full boat even WITH the discount. The margin on parts is astronomical, nobody should be paying full-boat for them.

I do support my local businesses, in fact I buy 90% of my goods from local businesses who support what I do. Unfortunately, there are no KTM parts places near my house, so I haven't been able to work up a report with the two in the area as they're too far away. This is why I buy my KTM parts from two different online vendors, both of whom have brick and mortar, full-service shops. Outside of KTM parts, everything else is purchased locally and I'm proud to support my local businesses when everyone else buys on Amazon or Rocky Mountain ATV.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Guess I wasn't as stealthy as I thought....
Yeah there's a cool feature of the forum, called "current activity" right below the name when you click on a user...but I'm sure you already knew that ;)

81 - 100 of 117 Posts