Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Ducati 916 Mono
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I have been looking to buy a 1997 916 Mono for the past year or so (I have a post in the Marketplace thread where I provide a backstory). I've located a used bike which is priced a little below blue book, has been painted a different color, has a few mods/customizations and has a salvage title. I do not plan to race this bike, or even ride it extensively. I would like to take it out to ride periodically and take it for service to keep it in great shape, but I do not plan to restore it or "show" it. I would like to make it look as close to the original version that I used to own. This is a purely a sentimental purchase because I just love this bike.

I'm thinking of making an offer, but I was hoping this community could help answer a few questions:

In no particular order . . .
1) Can the bike be re-painted to match the original 1997 red as well as getting the original graphics?
2) Or would it be better to just buy new panels?
3) Does anyone have any experience with salvage bikes? What should I be looking for? Or is that too open-ended a question?
4) I think I know the answer to this question, but do salvage bikes hold any value, especially in the future?
5) Can a salvage title be converted to a "clean" title? (California)

Thanks in advance to anyone that can provide some guidance.

Pete

·
Registered
4 Posts
1) Yes. You can still find original graphics...but repro graphics will work just fine too.
2) You would need to track down original parts or buy repro parts. Personally, I would repaint...but I like painting!
3, 4 and 5) I always steer clear of salvage bikes. In California, from what I understand, it cannot be reversed. It permanently affects the value and likely the ability to insure it. It is always sketchy to me to ride a high-speed bike that has been salvaged for any reason. Have all frame cracks been found? Is something going to give in the engine? Etc.

My advice would be to remain patient and find a bike that has a clean title.

·
Registered
1997 Ducati 916 Mono
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1) Yes. You can still find original graphics...but repro graphics will work just fine too.
2) You would need to track down original parts or buy repro parts. Personally, I would repaint...but I like painting!
3, 4 and 5) I always steer clear of salvage bikes. In California, from what I understand, it cannot be reversed. It permanently affects the value and likely the ability to insure it. It is always sketchy to me to ride a high-speed bike that has been salvaged for any reason. Have all frame cracks been found? Is something going to give in the engine? Etc.

My advice would be to remain patient and find a bike that has a clean title.
Thanks for the input! I talked to a former motorcycle police officer and he told me the same thing you said about the salvage title. He also made the same point you made about latent damage and the risk of problems with a high performance bike.

So . . . I'll keep looking.

Pete

·
Registered
226 Posts
Do salvage it's a track bike only. I agree I steer clear of salvage title anything. Opens up a headache at some point when it comes to registering or selling the bike down the road.

Reactions: meisco

·
Registered
1997 Ducati 916 Mono
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do salvage it's a track bike only. I agree I steer clear of salvage title anything. Opens up a headache at some point when it comes to registering or selling the bike down the road.

Thanks for the advice Shogill.

Pete

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I've located a used bike which is priced a little below blue book,

4) I think I know the answer to this question, but do salvage bikes hold any value, especially in the future?

5) Can a salvage title be converted to a "clean" title? (California)
In California, it's generally assumed that a clean bike with a salvage title is worth 25% – 30% less than the going price for the same bike with a clean title.

The salvage classification is permanent and remains part of the vehicle history. A Salvage titled vehicle can never be issued a Clear title.

·
Registered
1997 Ducati 916 Mono
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In California, it's generally assumed that a clean bike with a salvage title is worth 25% – 30% less than the going price for the same bike with a clean title.

The salvage classification is permanent and remains part of the vehicle history. A Salvage titled vehicle can never be issued a Clear title.

Thank you Shazaam! I appreciate the information. I'm convinced not to head down this path.

Pete

·
Registered
1997 Ducati 916 Mono
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Found a bike in great condition at a great price! Question for the forum ... the bike I originally owned did not have the agip sticker on it. Were these stickers OEM with certain models/dealers? Or were they usually applied by the owner? Can they be removed? Does anyone have any experience with that? Or will the removal leave a discolored area?
1997 Ducati 916 and Bailey.jpg

·
Registered
1997 Ducati 916 Mono
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Duc report week 2.

I pulled the body panels and did a moderately deep clean. 4 hours. Everything except the front wheel. I won't be able to do that until I get the ceiling winch relocated so I can hoist it and spin the tire.

Lots of old grease/old reside and heavy build up. Not sure how often the previous owners removed the panels. I needed lots of degreasing cleaner to cut through it. I'm sure I adversely affected the earth's eco-balance with the amount of grease and oil washed down the driveway. But I did not see a source of the oil or grease leaks. It could be they just never cleaned it. However, it would not surprise me if there was a leak somewhere.

Anyway, I cleaned the side panels and noticed a small abrasion on one panel. Both panels also have a similar scratch running the length of the underside. They must have driven through something that scratched the belly. But you can only see it if you are looking under the bike.

I fixed the slow idle. It was easier than I thought it would be. I also remembered there was a "fast idle" to warm it up. Things are starting to come back to me now.

Finished up and took it around the block. I had forgotten how much power and how beautiful the pipe tunes are and how much fun it was to ride!

All in all, so far, this bike looks to be in better shape than the one I sold many years ago. And it is closer to stock than mine was. Which is also a plus.

Question for everyone. A rubber grommet was inside the fairings when I removed the panel. I don't recognize it. Anyone knows where it goes? OD = 1"; ID = 1/2"; Thickness = 1/4"; hard rubber.

Pete

Grommett.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts