Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1995 916 that will not start. I installed new plugs, all the fuses are good, and the starter engages and cranks - it will not turn over. The red "GEN" light stays lit on the dash. The battery is a new Yuasa. I tested continuity and 0.5-ohm on the 2 yellow wires from the stator.

The rectifier is what has me stumped. Apparently it is not OEM and I believe it is an RR51. It has 2 yellow wires going to the stator, a red and green with ring terminals going directly to the battery (photo attached), and a white and black with bullet terminals (photo attached). On this model, will a bad regulator cause the bike to not start?

The main harness from the bike has a single black ground wire with a ring terminal attached to the mounting bolt on the rectifier. There is also a 2-wire harness with brown and white/red wires, and a single red with a female bullet connector (photo attached).

I was able to figure out that the brown and white/red harness is for the "REG" warning light on the dash. And that the white wire from the regulator connects to the white/red wire in the 2-wire harness. Here is where I am lost. Does the remaining black wire from the regulator connect to the brown from the 2-wire harness? If not, then where? What, if anything connects to the red wire from the main harness? I just got the bike and I found the black wire from the regulator attached to the single red wire from the main harness. This did not seem correct. Maybe I am wrong.

I test no continuity between the red and green ring terminal wires from the regulator and 18 Megaohm resistance. Is this enough to prove the regulator is bad? If so, is this tripping the "GEN" light on the dash?

Thank you for the help.

Attachments

· Registered
1,410 Posts
I have a 1995 916 that will not start. I installed new plugs, all the fuses are good, and the starter engages and cranks - it will not turn over. The red "GEN" light stays lit on the dash. The battery is a new Yuasa. I tested continuity and 0.5-ohm on the 2 yellow wires from the stator.

On this model, will a bad regulator cause the bike to not start?
A bad regulator will prevent the battery from charging after the engine is running, but has no effect on the engine's ability to start. The GEN light will stay on until the engine is running.

If the starter motor cranks the engine, but the engine fails to start, then you need to investigate the two causes of not starting — lack of fuel or lack of ignition = no combustion.

Ignition: Pull each of the spark plug wires to verify that it will spark to a nearby ground.

Fuel: Listen for the fuel pump running for a few seconds upon operating the RUN switch.
If the pump runs, then check for a split fuel line in the tank.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts