Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: Hello – I’ve just got myself a 1995 916 Bip which the story says had a previous charging problem and while it was being checked-out fell over and the owner got fed up and sold it – I’ve taken the chance and it is now mine – good news. Bad news - unfortunately the wiring was still heavily disconnected including connections removed etc and my first job was to reattach and reconnect all the wires. With the help of the manual I’ve got it running but there is a white wire from the (replacement?) RR51 rectifier which is still looking for a home. I just cannot see a loose connection anywhere (should be a white/red somewhere?) although there are a couple of “spare” red wires. The RR51 diagram shows this wire going to the instrument panel charge light. Do I have to cut into the loom (please say no) or must I persevere etc. Any ideas?
Also, the instrument panel GEN light does not come on when the ignition is on, the bulb is OK out of the holder but I cannot get it to light in the holder even by putting a battery across the pins of what I think are the right wires in the left-side socket. I had a 900SS from the early 1980s which had a true idiot light which was always on – I hope Ducati had moved-on from this and were more sensible in 1995 – maybe this one is always out! Seriously tough, any thoughts of checking this in a better way as it is a right awkward job and maybe contact isn’t good?

Also are the wiring colours exactly as the manual – some don’t appear to be so maybe previous work has changed some!
All advice gratefully received.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
When I installed a RR51 in my 916 I lost the charging light function. My recollection is that there's no straightforward way to recover it. Just as well, because the charging light doesn't give much information or advanced warning of a failing charging circuit problem.

A better solution is to install a voltmeter across the battery terminals that will show erratic charging voltages in advance of a full RR failure or show short circuits due to stator wiring insulation heat damage.

Here's what I installed:

Lascar Electronics - EMV 1200 - Panel Meters - Panel Meters - Allied Electronics

Cut the wires to within an inch or so of the threaded stud. Solder a more substantial wire to each lead and run them directly to the battery terminals.

Fit a piece of shrink tubing over the voltmeter's threaded stud and wires to prevent excessive bending or fatigue failure where they exit the meter. I mounted mine directly below the water temperature gauge. You can run the shrink tubing covered wires down between the bracket and the instrument housing.The meter is so light-weight that no additional mounting bracket is required, the stiffness of the shrink tubing is enough to keep it from moving around. A small piece of foam placed between the bracket and the bottom of the meter will keep it facing you. If you mount it too rigidly it will see a lot of vibration that could shorten the life of the meter. Double-sided foam tape from Staples would work too.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks for the good advice! Does this mean that the white on the RR51 never did go anywhere or that you just ignored it? Should the warning light come on when it is charging or not charging? Does the wiring in the manual match the bike? I know pretty basic questions but don't want to do anything potentially expensive! Thanks again.:)

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I don't recall the details of the charging light circuit. The generator light became non-functional with the RR51.

I recall that after a series of regulator failures on early 916s (I had six RR fail), Ducati replaced the regulators with an updated design that included a heat shield and different wiring/connector that eliminated the generator light all together.

More details here:

http://www.ducatisportingclub.com/showthread.php?t=78401

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great info again - will check this lot out. Just so I am clear then - I should block-off the white wire i.e. no connection, and not worry about having no generator indicator light working in the instrument panel. Thanks again!:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts