Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
DucatiSpot Ambassador
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've spotted a nice looking 916 SP - DUCATI 916SP (1996/P) for sale [ref: 3220238] | MCN
for sale...

I was wondering if anyone could help with the significance of this bike? I see it was limited production but was it a race homologation special or just a road special? Any other info also welcome...

Thanks...

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
The 1996 916SP is a historical machine for many reasons, most of which is the tail end of Cagiva management and Troy Corser's World Superbike championship, using the race version of the homologation special 916SP.

It's quite a different bike then the standard strada versions. It has titanium rod's, lighter bottom end, larger valve's, higher lift/longer duration cam's and more compression. It's very much what the strada should have been, because it's underpowered stock.

The SP's also had a few minor frame alterations, lighter wheels, updated suspension and of course a more race-ready exhaust.

Most people own these as collectors bikes, although the pricing seems to be falling on them for some reason. 15k does seem like a lot, but if you want a collectors bike, it maybe ONE of the cheapest ones you an buy! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts