Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - have a 94 916 Strada, bought 6 years ago when the dealer put new belts on had about 13,500 miles - now at 17,000 miles I replaced the belts, and then thought I'd check the valve clearances. I assumed that the valves would have been done by the dealer and would not need doing for another 6000 miles - have just checked the vertical cylinder and the closers are too tight - not got round to doing the Horizontal one yet but if that needs attention then would mean working on the exhaust rockers/valves upside down - is this possible OR is it easier to go the whole hog and drop the engine out?

·
Registered
117 Posts
The horizontal exhaust valves are a little awkward to work on (not too bad if you can lift the bike though) but the vertical cylinder exhaust valves are a real pig to get at due to the frame being in the way.

However for valve adjustments you'll spend more time dropping/refitting the engine than struggling with the poor access, especially if the swingarm pivot shaft is seized...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
, just TIGHT space, eh...
I could not believe how tight, and I don't have any angles feeler guages to check the clearences further inside - this is part of an overall freshening up and had planned to re-grease ther rear suspn, new chain, so have decided I might as well drop the engine out, since have already dismantled so much just to get at the valves might as well continue and then I'll have room to do the valves properly.
Thanks for the advice

1 - 5 of 5 Posts