Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,

Wanted to know if anyone has made the 749 to 924 Pistal Ducshop kit and compared it to a 848 Evo for power. I've looked at some dynos and with the usual half to full systems and custom map with pcIII and they look close. My 749s track bike has just about everything other than more motor. But if the 848 Evo had equal power to an 924 and handled better it would be worth the switch.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have an 2004 749s , i also have been granted some weeknds on a 848 and i would have to say the 749 has more character. In i have read the 924 revs hard and long, while the 848 revs less. The 848 is smoother but lacks a lot of fun. Handeling is similar, just the 848 steering is a little quicker (could be a lot of different things here also, my set-up, the tires, angle ,...)

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I didn't care for the 848 engine, even when race built. The bore/stroke, cam profile and gearbox ratio's lend it to be more of a mid-range machine then top end. I tried to get more top end out of it, but the smoothness and non-aggressive nature of the motor, made it rather boring to ride. The 848 has a superior chassis in many ways, I found it to be night and day better in that department over my 749R. Plus, it's a lot lighter, when you do the math, race bike vs race bike, the 848 was 348 dry and the 749R was in the mid 370's. Both bikes with the same mod's, so that's a HUGE weight difference. I went faster on my 848 because the chassis worked so much better and felt so much lighter.

So its a tough call, if you really wanna be competitive and build a race bike, I'd go with the 848. If you don't care and just wanna have fun, keep what you got.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.