Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

After recently losing my pride and joy I've decided I will give my 2nd favourite bike a try.
So I'm going to inspect this and after advice as I'm a first time (prospective LOL) Ducati owner. I've spent several hours reading hundreds of threads on three Ducati forums so have a fair idea of the usual nasties to be aware of.

This has done 45,000 klms, well serviced (allegedly recently by a Duke mech. - cam belts, etc), Termi pipes, owner states no swirly bits of steel or alloy in mesh oil screen, 12 months reg. He said PO upgraded to bigger brakes however they look standard to me.

The Agip decal and the Ducati one on the lower fairing are covered by clear coat which is a minus to me, but an easy fix. They do show that PO wasn't in to originality.
The current owner doesn't seem to be a Ducati fanatic (PO was and owned it long time, and have his name and will try to find him) and wasn't aware of certain items I asked about.

So what I'm after is advice on anything to be aware of specific to a '93 and/or should that year be avoided, and opinions on purchase price.

Cheers.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
cracks in the frame under the steer head.. can be repaired but most of these seemed to do it.

carbs... get the FCR's.

new belts no matter what..

ditch the rim stripes..

buy more carbon

otherwise bullet proof.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The rim stripes are shite; I agree. What do you think re value? (pretend no issues).

Cheers.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Its a buyers market right now. I can tell you this after selling and buying in the past few weeks.
Check everything like engine number and vin correspond to paperwork.
Ask and check for all receipts for any work done.
Its an old bike, Ducati seems to suffer with fasteners, check the high use ones for stripping or damaged heads (I found finding these on my recent purchase annoying) gives you an idea how careful the owners have been.
Ask to check the air filter. If your serious about buying, get a new oil filter and oil and change it before you buy. I did this. told the seller he could keep the bike, oil and filter if there were any shavings in the oil screen, he was ok with this and the screen was fine. If he didn't allow me to do this I may have just walked.
I reckon in todays market, I would say $4000 to $4500 if everything checks out.
Ian Falloon does a great book on buying desmo twins, the sections on question asking would be universal to all models well worth a look.

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
I am sure I wrote a reply..
I would have guessed 4.5 - 6 tops.

hard to judge the older ones. I know the EFI ones start about 6k

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Almost Right On!

cracks in the frame under the steer head.. can be repaired but most of these seemed to do it.

carbs... get the FCR's.

new belts no matter what..

ditch the rim stripes..

buy more carbon

otherwise bullet proof.
Very good assessment right there Shrek!
I had the EXACT same frame cracks in the EXACT same location - almost invisible to the naked eye for sure! Cost me a little off sale value but was able to obtain a brand new frame from a legendary source / friend of mine from the historic BCM Motorsports which used to be out of Laconia, NH.

Rim stripes on an iconic bike like this don't go with this model so agreed.

Belts are an absolute MUST when buying one of these 2 valve Desmos!

Not too sure about carbon since it only comes with front fender and rear hugger which if original are surely faded and pitted- so a good shop (such as who did a completely custom paint job, sanded n cleared all carbon to a dripping wet gloss- Connecticut Cycle Refinishing) made it new again with appearance) though one can find Carbon clutch covers and bits here n there.

And as far as Carbs go we tried those FCRs with the 944 Kit that was dropped in and their response was sub standard - so I'd place a vote for some 42mm Keihins instead- they'd even work good with a stock engine too if tuned appropriately.

A good thing about these older bikes is that you can also find a good variety of slip ons which will give that awesome throaty sound a perfect pitch! IMHO Arrow is the best match for this- slips or full system, and their carbon look is outstanding for sure! Used Arrows on 3 of my Ducatis and it is like they are born to be with each other! :)

Unfortunately, I made the grave mistake of selling it to my dealer to score a Limited Edition 1198s Corse and kick myself in the nuts for doing so. Nothing pulls like these 2 valve torque / wheelie machines and has so much class at it as well.

To the OP. If you can land this baby cheap and it doesn't have a repairable Crack up top near steering stem, grab it and shoot me a PM if iinterested in rebuilding a classic icon Ducati! They are extremely comfortable to ride and people will both hear and feel you coming down the road before you're seen my man!
Best wishes with it if it's not already gone! ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Ps. As Giantclam (totally love that screen name btw!) Said you'll learn ALOT from looking closely at the bolts n screws around the whole bike! I'd say they run between 3-4k right now if it's a gem and has some valid maintenance records which show last valve job etc. These babies require frequent (6k mile ) valve CHECKS at least.

Hey, if you do end up getting this bike I have a super Service Book on it which has in depth "DIY" maintenance work- WITH pics! Lol.
Keep us posted on this one brother!

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
Gunny

You will have missed that it's in oz.. All good though..
Good info from you

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
....and people will both hear and feel you coming down the road before you're seen....
Until recently I had a beautiful condition '97 Speed Triple with a high mount carbon TOR can and the above quote of yours did apply LOL.

If I do end up with this specimen (or another) I'll surely gloat err... post it here:)

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Ahhhhh. Thank you for pointing this out Shrek!
Now some of the language that makes no sense to me, makes sense! LOL.

Didnt even look at that aspect mate. (thats what i say right? :))

Cheers (that too right? :)

Again, appreciate ya squaring me away on this, sorry all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
.....Now some of the language that makes no sense to me, makes sense...
Too right cobber, we speak the Queen's English here mate. Fair dinkum mate, you made a blue not understanding Strine mate, but no need to feel a galah 'cos we won't have a lend of ya.
Gotta hit the swag now mate 'cos a little map of Tassie is waiting for me!

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
Close gunny .

When using 'cheers' in close quarters.. You add 'bloke' after it.

In that application it should be ' cheers bloke'

That is unless your holding a beer.. Then it's 'here's cheers' or 'up ya bum'

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My search so far.

The '93 in my OP is an absolute pig! The list of faults too numerous to list. And has what must be the oldest front tyre still in service - '05 or '08 (wasn't quite clear enough to read). No documentation and was a track bike at one time.

Inspected a '95 and although very good condition didn't have any documented history, had high klms and a crack starting at the usual location - the weld at the tank latch gusset and frame.

So the search continues.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts