Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left home at 7am and was going to Bright (lunch 1 hr), over Mt Hotham,via Bairnsdale ( coffee 30min) and the great alpine hwy. Plan was to spend the night there in a b&b and come home in the morrow. Well This bike is so much fun I had to keep riding, over to Murtlford and down to Mansfield (coffee 30 min), Alexander then through the black spur and home. Some of the best twistys in Victoria. Got home at 6.45pm,not considering fuel stops, you do the sums. The bike wants to cruise at 140kmph, I'm thinking of a 14 tooth for the front to see if I can make her happy at say 120kmph, even at 180 there plenty left and personally I dont think I need to be going much faster. My bum was soooo sore, but even on a 960km trip riding my outfit (which is set up for mileage sheep skin and fwd pegs) i'll have a sore bum after that much of a day. GOTTA LOVE THIS BIKE!!!

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
960 Km's and only your arse was sore? Shoot, that's better than some cruisers!

That's a fairly long ride, I was kinda hoping you could provide a little commentary on the bike itself, doesn't have to be long, short and sweet is good too.

Congratulations.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's a fairly long ride, I was kinda hoping you could provide a little commentary on the bike itself, doesn't have to be long, short and sweet is good too.
Okay, What a ride, from home I took the back roads out to Bairnsdale east of Melb the bike is a missile with more than I need in reserve. At 180kmph there is still heaps left. Up to Omeo on the Alpine highway was nice and smooth I was taking the 45kmph bends at close to 110 at least on the exits when I had a chance to glance. I hit the brakes in the second hairpin and the bike stood up and I ran wide right over the other side of the road, I swore I was heading over the edge but got it back in control and lucky no oncoming traffic at that time. It doesnt like front brakes in turns dont do it just lean over more and it WILL go around as I found the next time I went in too hot. Over Mt Hotham and down the other side, going down the mount was hard the road was a bit rough and constant braking into tight corners going down a mountain kinda wears on ya and the enjoyment soon disappears. I laughed at other members when they complain about the clutch being too heavy but it started to get tough after a couple of hours of constant use, still not enough for me to race out and buy a new slave, I'll just get stronger wrists I guess.At Bright where I was going to spend the night I still wanted to ride. From Murtlford to Mansfield is some really nice road and I'm getting used to the bike and feeling very much at ease. The highlight of the trip was coming up to the Black Spur I went passed some riders who were doing the limit. Each time I looked in the mirrors though they were there, they'd let me go passed so I was their decoy (bastards) well stuff them was my thoughts I'd loose them and coming out of turns I was turning up the heat to ballistic speed then shutting down and looking behind, they were sticking to my bum like pimples and I wasn't shaking them. So into the spur we went and after the first couple of bends I rolled the throttle on mid corner and laid the bike over as far as I could and just kept powering on, it was fantastic to feel the grip of these dragons I couldn't loose the rear no matter how hard I was trying (within reason, I didn't wring its neck) and after another 2 bends a quik look behind and that was the last I saw of them until Healsville at the bottom where I met them at a servo. It seems they like to let unsuspecting riders go by and play with them. What blew me away is they were local boys from up there and it was there roads I just came out on top. Well the 1098 came out on top as I'm no Troy Bayless just an old fart on a very nice bike.

So in conclusion what did I learn?
1. Don't use the front brake mid turn, just lean over further. I'm going to play with the settings I feel are a bit soft. I'll see if that helps.
2. This bike is more fun than I ever could have imagined.
3. If I dont slow down I'll be walking or locked up. (but it's hard)
4. I'll change to a 14 tooth front sprocket so my cruise speed comes down a bit. the bike is currently happy at 140-150 I'd like to get 120 -130.
5. I dont feel pain when I'm having fun, my bum ached all night when I got home but was fine next day.

·
Registered
19 Posts
nice one, i very much like the bit when you went onto the wrong side of the road,without ringing its neck, thats the perfect way to ride a public road, onya mate, gee you must have been going hard mate,sounds like you ride really really fast, i reckon you underestimate troy bayliss"s ability. keep workin the pirellis if you try a bit harder on the way home im sure you could get them drifting, then, maybe after three days you can try to get them actually smokin"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts