Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

Yea Ive searched the issue before posting and it was kinda helpful but let me tell my scenerio anyway with hopes of a better result.

Ok so it started one day after about a 10 mile ride and it stalled on me. I let it sit a minute and it started and ran fine for the day. Same thing happened each time I took it out so I did some research. When I turned the key I wasnt hearing the fuel pump so I swapped out the relay next to it and shabaaaam started right up.

Ok so I had been looking localy for replacement relays with no luck and let it go a few days.

Today I did the usual and started it up for a few minutes before I took off. It started and ran perfect for about 3 minutes then started sputtering and stalled.

I tried restarting and I can hear the fuel pump kick on and it would start up for a sec and then die. Tried several times with same result.

Now it wont start at all but fuel pump turns on still UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I then remembered the relay that I switched so I swapped them back and now the relay that just clicked before now does its job and I hear the pump each time but still wont stay running.

What am I missing? If both relays seem to be working what else could it be? All of a sudden it wont stay running? Anybody want a really nice looking 748? :(

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also Do I need 5 pin relays under the seat even though the center one is a blank where it plugs in?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im feeling a little left out here :(... I know there are threads about similar and I have read them 100 times. I was getting her to start and then die but now she wont start at all.

Does this sound fuel or electrical? Fuel pump kicks on and replaced the relays but still no change. Should my next step be to remove tank and check hoses and filter ?

I tried pulling spark plugs but of course the tool kit doesnt fit so I guess previous owner replaced with a different head size? I tried sockets but unfortunately I dont have a long enough extension to reach so that will be next I guess.

I made a shout out to previous owner who is a real nice guy but I dont want to make him feel like he has a pain in the A** (ME). Im not afraid to get into this but just need some specific direction. I promise to make it up to everyone when I get approved to sell here. I have some cool stuff for these bikes. Don't want to say to much and get kicked so Ill leave it at that.

The previous owner did upgrade the quick disconnects for the fuel lines but any other helpful tips or what to look for when I pull the pump? Is there a way to check at that point if fuel is getting to the injectors?

Anyway thanks again, I just keep reading and will update if any change.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
.....Should my next step be to remove tank and check hoses and filter ?
Yes.

Sounds like it could be a split hose in the tank.

Open the gas cap and turn the key on. If you see fuel swirling around in the tank then you will have a split hose.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea i just checked and I see a ripple of fuel when I turn on the pump. Ill have to take it off later today and check it out. I really hope its that simple. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so this is what I found

First the whole unit:

Here is a shot of a hose that looks tired but I cant find any visible cracks. It fits but not as tight as others.

I have already replaced the fuel filter in these pics. Previous owner made shims to accommodate the napa part.

After removing the old filter some fuel came out but I had to blow into each end to clear it. So my question is if the filter was backed up would I still see the same result when looking into tank and turning on key with fuel moving around inside?

Gonna take a break and hopefuly I get a reply or 2 this afternoon.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Update. Further inspection of my tank which had been replaced by previous owner because the original started rusting internally from sitting about 6 years. I drained the tank before removing it and noticed it was a little cloudy but thought it was from using my mighty vac and creating air.

There was a little bit left in tank and I could see debris as in orange (possibly rust) Maybe the filter just did its job and stopped the crap from entering the injectors and just got so clogged it wouldn't allow any more fuel through? Wouldnt a little get through to at least start?

How can I flush the pump and internals to make sure its working and clear?
Anyway gotta take another break.

Thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
try ducati.ms, lot more traffic there with more info for you. this site is almost dead
A lot more garbage and a-holes moderators too. That place is a joke IMHO.

You needs 4 things for an engine to fire...

1. Air- No brainer, make sure your filter isnt clogged or pathway otherwise obstructed.
2. Fuel- Filter, fuel pump (+relays) firing injectors.
3. Spark- Pull a plug and turn the engine over. Spark should be visible.
4. Timing- make sure your belt(s) has not jumped. Rare, but possible. If it breaks...game over.

·
Registered
192 Posts
no problem with ducati.ms for me. no traffic here is the problem.

i would go ahead and change the filter and hoses while you have it out. sometimes you can have a hole but not see it. make sure you get submersible fuel lines.

·
Registered
352 Posts
The rippling you see in the tank may only be the returning fuel from the pressure relief. When I have had internal line problems before there is a LOT of fuel slosh in the tank. Are/were the 2 breather hoses connected properly? Lack of breathing may have the symptoms you described. A blocked filter first causes problems at high revs IME.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update....................

Changed filter and obvious worn hoses. Cleaned out all connectors (air). Pulled plugs checked for spark. Cleaned up the inside of my original tank put in a new oring. Had changed relays before pulling pump so that was done also.

Got it all back together, crossed fingers and she fired right up!!!!!!!!!!!! Guess it was a combo of blockages.

Thanks for everyone's input and advice.

Riding again

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The rippling you see in the tank may only be the returning fuel from the pressure relief. When I have had internal line problems before there is a LOT of fuel slosh in the tank. Are/were the 2 breather hoses connected properly? Lack of breathing may have the symptoms you described. A blocked filter first causes problems at high revs IME.

One was completely blocked. Had to push a wire through to clear it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts