Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a black (or dark grey? what is this color called?) 98 ST2, pretty used but I feel like I got a deal on it. 65,000 miles a few dings and scratches but beautiful from 10 feet.

Previous owner had the belts and valves done 300 miles or so before the sale. It's a clean bike, it has a couple small noticeable mods and looks like its been used hard but taken care of.

I've rode it about 100 miles and noticed:

1- It rarely stops flashing LO, it acts like there is no thermostat. What is the normal operating temp at speed in open air?

2- When I turn on the bike it says DUC ST4, it doesn't seem to be a problem it's just weird

3- The damn speedometer bezel flew off

4- The master cylinders smash into the interior plastics and have worn grooves, basically ruining that panel :-/

do I have to use ebay to get these parts? Whats the best way to get parts for these bikes?

I love this bike and I'd love to cherry it out and put a trillion more miles on it

:drummer:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just got a black (or dark grey? what is this color called?) 98 ST2, pretty used but I feel like I got a deal on it. 65,000 miles a few dings and scratches but beautiful from 10 feet.

Previous owner had the belts and valves done 300 miles or so before the sale. It's a clean bike, it has a couple small noticeable mods and looks like its been used hard but taken care of.

I've rode it about 100 miles and noticed:

1- It rarely stops flashing LO, it acts like there is no thermostat. What is the normal operating temp at speed in open air?

2- When I turn on the bike it says DUC ST4, it doesn't seem to be a problem it's just weird

3- The damn speedometer bezel flew off

4- The master cylinders smash into the interior plastics and have worn grooves, basically ruining that panel :-/

do I have to use ebay to get these parts? Whats the best way to get parts for these bikes?

I love this bike and I'd love to cherry it out and put a trillion more miles on it

:drummer:
Congrats on the purchase. I have a question. Are you sure it's a ST2? I ask this for two reasons. One being the display telling you ST4 and the other being black. I can't recall, but someone else here may know, if black was available in '98. I still have a 1999 Ducati line brochure that shows the ST2 in red or silver and the ST4 in red or black.

As for the master cylinders chafing on the side windscreen panels it sounds like there may be bar risers installed causing the rub.

Not sure about the LO water temp message. Perhaps one of the water temp sensors is faulty. Someone here may know.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Pretty easy to discern whether it is an ST2 vs ST4; ST2 has a 2 valve engine; ST4 is 4 valve. You can also research the VIN. I owned an ST2, it was silver, nice bike. A great website for you is Desmotimes. He specializes in Ducatis and has quite the catalogue of upgrades and DIY manuals.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just saying that there may not have been a black ST2 in 1998 and he may be new to Ducati and unable to differentiate between a DOHC and SOHC engine. I own a '98 ST2, silver.

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
If it's an st2 and the low water temp is flashing then it's not only the thermostat you will find is missing.

Sounds like a replacement dash unit has been fitted.

Post pics

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hey 2 minute drill did you ever find an answer to the flashing LO. I've got a silver 98 ST2 and it frequently flashes LO as well. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason except it seems to do it more often when it's cold out. Would love to know the reason.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi guys just a quick note to say that there is a dark grey / off black option for the st2 - i own one! There was a comment about the clocks being changed over which i agree with. I looked at changing from farenheit to celceus but cant do it without changing the clocks. I assume this is the same for the name

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Howdy all, OP here.

Still have the bike and still have the problem although it's never really been more of a problem than just the blinking LO signal. The dealer thinks it could be the charging system

Just took her on a 1400 mile trip and it blinked LO at me the entire time.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Um to try to help you, you need to read what the other guys have asked, can you do that, please?

Craig

·
Registered
66 Posts
Howdy all, OP here.

Still have the bike and still have the problem although it's never really been more of a problem than just the blinking LO signal. The dealer thinks it could be the charging system

Just took her on a 1400 mile trip and it blinked LO at me the entire time.
If you have a charging issue on a '98 ST2 you couldn't complete a 1400 mile trip. Just saying.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Um to try to help you, you need to read what the other guys have asked, can you do that, please?

Craig
um sure - Yes, it's an ST2 and no I haven't quite figured out the flashing LO signal

my plan is to swap out the water temp sensors when I do my next service.

thanks

·
Registered
632 Posts
Rather than swapping sensors grab a couple of these from your local Napa man NAPA TS5520

From memory one operates the dash & the other talks to the ecu and runs the fan.

Craig

·
Registered
632 Posts
Yes sorry, there is one on either cylinder. These aftermarket units are found to be more reliable and cheaper than genuine. You may find that they are slightly longer or fatter than stock but are good replacements.

Craig

·
Registered
70 Posts
My ST2 was running like crap, would get to 69 degrees C then splutter and misfire, cool down a bit run smooth, hit 69 again and misfire.
Turns out that the temp sensor for the dash worked fine but the sensor for the ECU was faulty. Replaced the ECU temp sensor (which you can do without draining the coolant if you screw it in quickly). The bike now runs smooth at all temps.
That was after I changed the whole ECU and tried three types of aftermarket chips in both the ECUS I now have.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts