Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1999 996 that as of late when I ride it for 10-15 min it starts to spit/spray coolant out of a pin tip size hole right below the plastic tank's cap. The bike is barely hitting 180 degree temps when it does it. I figured maybe the cap is clogged so it does not allow venting to the outside, pressure builds up, and coolant spits out from this pin tip sizzle hole. Can't think of why all of the sudden this is happening. Any suggestions or ideas?

Also, how in the world anyone can get their fingers in there to open that tank's cap is beyond me. I tried by hand and nothing. Using a pair of plies was not any better either!

·
Registered
134 Posts
this is a hugely documented issue with the expanding coolant tank.

use the search feature, but the sparknote version is that the rubber plug and the trellis frame limit the available room for the tank to expand as the coolant heats and expands and as a result, the tank splits at the seams, resulting in your pin hole leak.

This isn't new, and aside from buying a new tank and installing a manual fan switch, there isn't much you can do to fix it. A patch over it is temporary and will likely split somewhere else again. You can buy an aluminum tank to get around this, but that's much more expensive than the $45 OEM plastic replacement tank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts