Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I bought my 996 a couple of years ago and try do all the work on it myself.
When i bought the bike i had a look at the belts first and it was a mess in there. The belts had been done six months earlier but were shredded. It turned out that the tensioner pulleys had been put on the wrong way. That is the bit of history that may be relevant.

I replaced the belts last year 8,000 kms ago and they are still being shredded on the inner edge.
Wood Bicycle part Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Gas

I can't see anything wrong. Before i pull them off and replace them i thought i'd take some photos and show you guys.
Here are some more pics
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior
Motor vehicle Automotive design Auto part Rim Bicycle part
Automotive tire Gear Rim Bicycle part Automotive wheel system

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Your belts are clearly running off the pulley to the engine case, which will cause them eventually to shred. Something is misaligned. Check for play on all pulleys, maybe a bearing or woodruff key failure.

Which way around have you tightened your tensioner pulleys?

Did you remove the mainshaft pulleys are the spacers correctly installed?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your belts ate clearly running off the pulley to the engine case, which will cause them eventually to shred. Something is misaligned. Check for play on all pulleys, maybe a bearing or woodruff key failure.

Which way around have you tightened your tensioner pulleys?

Did you remove the mainshaft pulleys are the spacers correctly installed?
Many thanks!
I'll check for play on the pulleys, bearings and woodruff keys. The pulleys and the bearings were good last time i did it.

I can't remember which way i tightened the pulleys but i do remember reading that they needed tightening in a particular direction. Pretty sure i did that okay.

I didn't remove the mainshaft pulley but i will this time and check it out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I can't remember which way i tightened the pulleys but i do remember reading that they needed tightening in a particular direction. Pretty sure i did that okay
Tightening them the wrong way will make your belt run off your pulleys as shown on the pictures. Make sure to turn the tensioner pulleys counter-clockwise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks 1098s.
Maybe i did tighten the vertical one clockwise...it is possible seeing that the belt is running off.

That would be an easy fix.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is it possible to tell it has been tightened clockwise? It looks like it has to me compared to this pic.

White Black Font Automotive tire Auto part

1 - 9 of 9 Posts