Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys ,
I need a stock 998 ECU mine just died .If anyone can help plz let me know.
Also if anyone knows what other model ECU I could use to get the bike run again.
Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am in the USA in N.Jersey.
So if I purchase a 996r ECU just plug in and go or I have to find someone to remap it for my bike ?
Its a stock 998 with an aftermarket cans. Nothing fancy.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I am not in a rush because the season is almost gone and I have a Hyper to ride but I want to fix this bike soon.
Here is the story :
I was involved in a deer accident around a year ago . Since that I had no money , no time ,and not even a pleasure to do it . finally I decided to fix it and bought most of the parts now.
I put the bike together, replaced fuel filter as well . The bike started after a jump start easily . I let it run for 10-15 minutes . Than I stopped it . After I started again I felt some smoke and stopped the engine and I figured out one of the wire got stretched in the accident and got hot and melted together so made some short . (that was a wire which goes to the starter solenoid ) so I fixed that wire and started the bike -no more melting issue. I took it to a short test ride around my neighborhood, came home and put it back to my storing place .
1 week later I started again , just fine but it just cut off right after 1 minutes run .
Since that I cannot started its just cranking -cranking-and cranking . I hear the fuel pump priming so that's fine .
I took out the front plug and I have no spark , so I am thinking its probably the ECU or the crank shaft sensor. I do not know if I can test that somehow or I can test the ECU somehow.
Any Ideas???

·
Registered
352 Posts
Horizontal cylinder is the usual culprit with the 59M ECU failure. CPS failure will give no spark to either cylinder. You don't want an ECU from a 996r, you want one for a 998. I have a NEW 998 base ECU in Hawaii you can have for $250 shipped. I am in Asia but can arrange for my mate to get it to you if you want it. Let me know. Cheers.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked both cylinder and no spark at all .
I am so tight on budget so I need to find out exactly. Probably the sensor is cheaper ,with 2 kids its just not easy anymore, but I will let you know If I want the ECU.

Any Idea how can I test the crank sensor? I removed it but looks fine.
Thanks.

PS . My friends just left today and flew back to MAUI. I love Hawaii ,especially OAHU is my place .

·
Registered
352 Posts
The crank semsor cannot be tested thoroughly without an oscilliscope. It can be OHM tested but it's not a sure test. Easiest way is to try another CPS. Does the right side radiator fan spin for 1/4 second when you turn the key on?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts