Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are lots of thing that can shorten the life of a motor. Racing, high revs, High heat, Etc...

On a average day to day sport ride with revs no higher then 10k Rpm for a few corners and mostly 3-8k Rpm.

My bike has 17k mi and all services has been done.
I think it is in good condition. (power sill rocks)

How many miles can I expect to get out of it?

Thanks
Jay

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Its hard to really know honestly. You can do an oil analysis and that will let you know what's going bad at this point in time. At 17k, you're just starting to have wear on everything; rod bearings, piston rings, valve guides… all the parts which cost a lot of money to fix. Most of these bikes can run into the 25k mile range without a re-build, but much after that and you'll be running on borrowed time. I don't know of very many bikes which are running properly in their 30k mile range. By that point, the rings are shot, the rods are knocking and the valve train is a mess. Some people simply keep riding them, but the more you ride a broken motor, the more the bill will be for fixing it. :(

So oil analysis, stay on top of it and go from there.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So then my next obvious question as a experienced bike builder. Is it better to (and cheeper?) to rebuild with upgraded parts. or just find a 998/999 motor as I believe they will both fit and electronics hook up. or am I wrong? what motors will fit? (shit man I have a 2V built up 944 and all but I dont want to drop that in... I want to have a SBK!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts