Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys !

I'm from France, I actually have a 998 S and I'll add a Desmosedici RR in Spring 2008. I would be happy to discuss with 998 owners !

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Pierre, you have a nice 998S :jerkoff:
I guess that your bike is full power and that you cancelled the stupid 100HP restriction :D
I am French but I live in Kuwait and my 998S is full power :yo: I go at work every days with my bike but I have to say that I use my MV F4 1000 witch is more "daily use friendly" that my 998S :smoking:
Do you have still the original final transmition ratio (15/36) ? This ratio is far to long to me.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Until 2 weeks ago I had a 998 - sold to make way for the 1098S. Do you run race pattern gear shift? I found this a great improvement (stopped me forgetting which bike I was on as I have a race bike as well).

What's the riding like in france?

Cheers.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
desmolight said:
Hi Pierre, you have a nice 998S :jerkoff:
I guess that your bike is full power and that you cancelled the stupid 100HP restriction :D
Do you have still the original final transmition ratio (15/36) ? This ratio is far to long to me.
I have full power, with 54 mm exhausts + 998 R ECU, so 145-150 HP.
I have changed the chain sprocket from 15 to 14 : I ride in a region where max speed does not make sens, ans i have never passed 260 km/h even on track...

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DuanneB said:
Until 2 weeks ago I had a 998 - sold to make way for the 1098S. Do you run race pattern gear shift? I found this a great improvement (stopped me forgetting which bike I was on as I have a race bike as well).

What's the riding like in france?
I prefer the wonderful breath-taking design of the 998 by Tamburini than the 1098 design, even if I like it very much, so I keep my 998 S to wait my D16 RR.

My bike has the street gear shift, because I use it 60% road 40% track.

France is a good country to ride a Ducati, on the road (Alpes and Auvergne roads are gorgeous) as weel as on tracks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Good for you getting a Desmosedici, I bet you are excited! I bet that will be another world to ride! Even greater than going from 2002 MV F4 1+1 (750cc) to the 2004 ZX-10R I now race (1000cc). That was a difference of 45hp and 60 pounds! The Desmosedici should be about 50-60hp more and 70 pounds less than your current 998S. btw, I really liked the 998S, I was bummed they never brought it here to the U.S. We never got an 'S' model that year so there were no deep sump engines unless you spent the extra cash on the 'R' model which only had +3hp over the 'S' but was significantly more expensive. I seriously thought about importing one! Here's a bunch of pictures of the 998's we got. Notice the brakes and lack of carbon belly pan to hide the deep sump testastetta motor..... http://www.redlabelmoto.com/details.asp?srID=157&srImageID=643

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanx for your msg, I'm excited but not so much, hopefully, because I'll not receive my Desmosedici RR before spring 2008 :eek:

My 998 S, with monoposto CF seat and fairing parts to reduce weight and 54 mm exhausts with 998 R ECU to increase torque and power is about 180 kg for about 150 HP, it is largely enough for my track-driving skills, but I really expect to discover the caracter of the Desmosedici engine : I think that with less than 1 kg per HP it will be another world :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Pierre Col said:
I have changed the chain sprocket from 15 to 14 : I ride in a region where max speed does not make sens, ans i have never passed 260 km/h even on track...
I agree we don't need more. I had also 14 on the front and 36 at the rear but the small 14 provide more stress to the chain and turn at higher speed rotation. I went to 15 front and 39 to the rear and it is much better. I can only suggest you to try.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Welcome Pierre to the forum !!!! :yo:

·
Registered
3 Posts

Hi This is my firts post. I am from Spain and I found this page just now. I have some doubts

I have a 998S and i am interested in your engine modification, Pierre

Did you needonly 54 mm mufflers or 54 mm complete exhaust. Can you explain?

How do you buy a 998R ECU? fits perfectly or need any change more?

Thank´s and regards

·
Registered
117 Posts
Are you sure that you have 998r ecu, but not 996r ecu, because I have tried to put 998r ecu to my 998s f.e. and it did not work. Seller told me that R and S have different wiring.

P.S. my 998s with full akrapovic 57mm exhaust system, 996r ecu, PC3, carbon intakes and dt1 air filter showed only 129bhp on rear wheel, so your numbers are pretty impressive.

Thanx for your msg, I'm excited but not so much, hopefully, because I'll not receive my Desmosedici RR before spring 2008 :eek:

My 998 S, with monoposto CF seat and fairing parts to reduce weight and 54 mm exhausts with 998 R ECU to increase torque and power is about 180 kg for about 150 HP, it is largely enough for my track-driving skills, but I really expect to discover the caracter of the Desmosedici engine : I think that with less than 1 kg per HP it will be another world :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts