Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is my situation, last summer I bought a 2003 999 Biposto. Drove a few hours to pick it up, everything looked fine when I looked at it, started right up, no problems at all on a short test ride.

After bringing it home I found out it had on oil leak. Dropped it off at a local bike shop and the mechanic who was going to work on it quit. So no one else there knew how to work on Ducati's, so they did not fix it and told me to come pick it up.

So I am looking for advice on how to get this fixed, I have not been able to find any shops that know how to work on Ducati's, and I would probably pay $10k for a dealer to find, then fix the problem (my local dealer just charged $420 for an oil change and clutch fluid change on my 899).

·
Registered
30 Posts
wow first of all you need to wipe that petroleum jelly off your ass where that shop has been reaming you.
All jokes aside, can you not find the source of the leak take some photos and post them up, there will be plenty here who could probably diagnose your problem and from there work on a solution.
$420 for an oil and clutch fluid change is fukn outrageous, you could have done that yourself.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow first of all you need to wipe that petroleum jelly off your ass where that shop has been reaming you.
All jokes aside, can you not find the source of the leak take some photos and post them up, there will be plenty here who could probably diagnose your problem and from there work on a solution.
$420 for an oil and clutch fluid change is fukn outrageous, you could have done that yourself.
There's Jelly everywhere! Lol

I will try to find time to break it down and find the oil leak this or next weekend and post some pics.

The dealer with the extremely high prices just started selling Ducati's and is half the distance from my house as the existing one. So I thought I would try them and I won't be going back for anything. I plan on doing my own maintenance going forward.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Unfortunately, if you don't know how to work on motorcycles, owning "classic" Ducati's can be a lesson in the quickest way to empty your wallet. They're SO easy to work on and there really aren't very many gotya's.

I can probably diagnose the oil leak through a picture and can tell you what part to replace very easily. The problem is, there are a lot of guys who know how to tinker out there and they call themselves "Ducati mechanics" but really don't know anything about Ducati's. My guess is, the guy you first took it to was one of those. Even if you were to drop it off at your Ducati dealership, some 25 year old looks at it, he's probably seen 5 of those motors in his entire life. He'll just replace random parts until you're happy, costing thousands.

So yea, it's really tough to point you in the right direction because most of the time people come on here, they're going to fix the issues themselves, so they have pictures to show the problem and we can point them to a solution. Without that, it's really hard to tell you where to go.

That's how much dealers charge these days. My good friend just had them put a new rear tire on his Panigale at the local dealership and they charged $650. The tire is $229 retail.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Cut your losses and run. That's what Im gonna do. Mine has been at the Ducati dealer over 2 months with a intermittent electrical issue. just saying.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts