Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have posted a couple times with no luck, so I’ll try one more time. The 2006 999 base model that I’ve been looking at, miles are less than 9000, has carbon fiber wheels, full termi exhaust, carbon fiber open clutch cover and a few other carbon fiber bits is 6999$ on consignment from a dealer. There aren’t any service records with bike and owner is overseas and can’t be contacted. Since there should have been a 6000 mile service and then an oil change then another major service at 12,000 miles , if I get the service done that should have been done at 6000 miles including oil change, will I then need to do that again for the 12,000 mile service to keep the intervals where they need to be or would doing service now be good till the next major service at 18,000 miles. Sorry for this being so long convoluted, but I’m new to Ducati and want to do the right thing. Also, would this issue be a negotiating point,( take cost of service, approximately 1500$ off cost of bike).

Thank you all,
John

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Its all about the intervals in miles/time. Not what the odo says. Unless its a daily rider most never adhere to the service schedule word for word. Get the valves checked at 12k. If the previous owners spends 3k on wheels then youd think he had the 6k service done. But how many years ago was that?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, you would think that someone that has spent that much money on mods would have kept up with the maintenance intervals. But since there is no paperwork, I want to make sure I do everything right. I’ve always had Harley Davidsons and those intervals are easy, every 5 years for oil change and certain maintenance items. Since there isn’t a dealer closer than 5 hrs from me, I want to make sure all service and maintenance is completely taken care of before I take possession.
Thank you,
John

·
Registered
45 Posts
As a veteran Ducati owner with several Ducatis, this is my advice:
$7000 is top dollars for that bike, don't get excited about the carbon wheels and the bits. For the same price, you possibly can get the same bike with less miles, service records and talk to the previous owner. Also, "the owner is overseas is always a red flag for me". Keep in mind 999 is not one of the popular Ducatis, perhaps with the same budget you can get a newer generation Ducati. Do the 12K mile service not the 6K, you would want to do the next service, not the one that has passed, incase you decide to get the bike.
Either way, best of luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Completely agree with the last post. I'd want to bring the bike to a known good state and not worry about something. Belts, valves, engine oil/filter and complete detailed inspection. I'd flush the hydraulics too (easy DIY job).

And it never hurts to make an offer.

Also, would the dealership be willing to drop the engine oil and screen on the bottom of the sump? That will give you a very good sense of the condition of many of the internals. If a bearing is starting to go, the debris will show on the screen.

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Also to add.. the next series was 1098. Lots of people had issues with that motor in comparison to the 999....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts