Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new to me 2003 999 and noticed that the engine will rev slightly when I turn the wheel right or left beyond a certain point. Not an issue when under way but when maneuvering around at idle it's annoying.

I noticed that if I pull on the throttle UP cable it does it and I thought perhaps the cable was loose inside the airbox. But on looking closely I could see the cable was not moving at all where it enters the airbox but was moving at the adjustment joint right here:

After pulling the rubber boots back I can see that the cable-to-joint nearest the airbox does not hold the cable and it pulls out under tension.

I don't think this should pull out but I'm not sure if it needs to turn or not as you tighten/loosen the adjuster. So I'm reluctant to just crimp it although I doubt it will need further adjusting and so crimping might be OK.

Question: Is it normal for this part of the throttle cable to come apart so easily? Does this normally just turn and somehow has become disconnected and now pulls out?

The replacement from Ducati is $135 which isn't too bad I guess but it includes both cables. I'm guessing there is nothing special about this and I can probably find an aftermarket cable of the right length for less money.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
The cables don't exactly fit perfectly into the adjusters. What's suppose to happen is that the adjuster takes up the slack for the fitment. So first thing I'd do is move those adjusters a lot, until the slack has been taken up. Then see if the cable can still pull out of the adjuster. Things wear over time and a lot of owners like slack throttles, so perhaps it's a combination of the two. I doubt the cables are toast because they're pretty robust and honestly between me and you, I haven't seen one go bad. ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The cables don't exactly fit perfectly into the adjusters. What's suppose to happen is that the adjuster takes up the slack for the fitment. So first thing I'd do is move those adjusters a lot, until the slack has been taken up. Then see if the cable can still pull out of the adjuster. Things wear over time and a lot of owners like slack throttles, so perhaps it's a combination of the two. I doubt the cables are toast because they're pretty robust and honestly between me and you, I haven't seen one go bad. ;)
I'll check that out and thanks, the idea that there is slack in there didn't occur to me.

In all my years of owing and working on motorcycles I've never had to adjust the throttle cable.

Firs time for everything!!! ;-)

·
Registered
226 Posts
The cables barrels thread together perhaps they have come apart? If so try screwing them back together. Where the cables enter the barrels, should not separate from the barrels. If they do the connection is damaged or the crimp has let go, you can try and re-crimp it. Regardless the engine should not rev-up or down at the steering lock positions. Imagine making an emergency low speed maneuver and the engine revs up in the process - not good. For measures also check where the cable enter the throttle, If either cable easily separate here the entire cable assembly need to be replaced. The cable assembly can be replaced without removing the air box but its tricky and take patience.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
ducnial,

The threaded barrels on both cables are threaded together and the locking nuts are tight. The separation is between the cable housing and the barrel closest to the airbox on the UP cable. If I pull on the cable housing while holding the barrel the cable separates from the barrel about 1/2".

It's really tight getting in there so I'm going to pull the tank off and see what's going on. I have some other parts coming so I'll have a look at it this weekend while I have the tank off already. Planning to replace timing belts, check valve clearances, and change oil & filter to get things caught up on maintenance.

·
Registered
226 Posts
notaveragejoe,

I just now checked mine too and noticed both will separate ~1/8" from the barrel on the air box side and mine are new this season so I know they're good. So it sounds like yours are ok. Two possibilities.

a) They're out of adjustment and simply need to be tightened. Tighten to reduce amount the cable pulls away from the barrel. Too much will lead to the throttle not opening fully or not smoothly closing which is most important. One cable is pull to open the other pull to close.

b) One or both cable housing are broken up by the twist grip, they're just plastic. If the opening cable separates here that can lead to throttle-up when its pulled away - not good. A right hand low side where the bar gets bent upward stretching the cables can break the housing near the throttle - ask me how I know.. :(

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the information. I just got my new timing belts so I'm planning on working on it this weekend since it's cold and rainy out and not suitable for riding.

I think once I get the tank off I'll be able to see clearly where the "pull" is coming when I turn the bars and that should lead me to the issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts