Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I put the throttle bodies onto my 03 today after ordering a new set. Attached the intake, tank, pump, replaced the plugs, and now it won't start. I can hear the pump running, it has a good spark at the plugs. My first thought is to charge the battery overnight which is what I am doing now. Does anybody else have an idea of what to check or change to get her to run? Thanks

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Do you mean the starter motor doesn't turn the engine over?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No it turns just not igniting. I'll take a video tomorrow and try to post it for some more help

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Well, I'd start with whatever work you've done to the bike recently, going back through your work. Perhaps the injector connectors are swapped? Perhaps the ignition connectors are swapped? It's probably straight forward, all you need to do is re-trace your work.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I looked at the old throttle bodies compared to the new ones and everything is routed correctly and connected correctly. Everything is getting gas. The cylinders have compression.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Take the tank off, but don't disconnect the fittings. Put it sideways on the seat and pop the airbox apart to see the injectors. That's the only way you can guarantee it's getting fuel.

Also, with new throttle bodies, perhaps they're not calibrated. Perhaps the idle screw is unscrewed, that wouldn't let anything past the plates and if the idle air passageways were also screwed in all the way, you'd get nothing into the cylinders. So calibrating that whole system is important, but the bike needs to run first. So perhaps simply unscrewing the idle screws and opening up the throttle plates, once you've verified it has fuel coming out the injectors.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Didn't think of doing that. I sprayed a little brake cleaner into the intake and it fires so its getting fuel just not enough of it. So I'm going to working on the fuel delivery next. Thank you for the help. I'll keep it in mind if I still have this issue after

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No. Nothing is pinched. So I'll be sourcing a new fuel pump today. Any sites I should search for a new one? Doesn't have to be OEM as I'll be replacing just the pump and not the whole assembly

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
If you do a little bit of google searching, you'll find the FIAT part number. I wrote it down somewhere, but whenever I go to the parts counter and show them the old part, the guy knows what it is and hands me a new one. It's cheap and easy to replace/source.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I found one for 150 from moto wheels that ca cycle works makes for ducati so I'll be getting that one

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
It's the same pump, they're literally buying them from the parts supply places for FIAT's and marking up the price.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I figured as much. Did some more research and found one for 20 off amazon. Read the reviews from the part and seller and that seems like the best deal to get so I bought it. Should be here next week so I can throw it in.

On a side note, can you tell me where the idle adjustment screw is? Just so I know if it needs adjusting.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update: I was talking to a friend down here about my issue when I picked up some forks today and realized what was wrong. My dumb self didn't reconnect the plug for the injectors........ So this weekend ill be doing that. Thank you Tuned for the help.

I feel like an idiot about this

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Told ya to check them injector cables! LOL :D

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Another update. Went to start the bike after connecting the injector plug and the damn right hand switch is dead..... Its another set back in getting it back on the road

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I bet it's unplugged as well, just trace it down the frame, I'm sure you'll find it.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I did. Its plugged in. It worked on Monday when I was trying. I'm charging the battery to eliminate that as a cause but I still think its dead

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Hmm… I can't imagine it dying. I'd look at something else first, how's that battery? :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts