Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I'm hoping some really nice 999RS owner can help me out.

I've been working on adapting a 999RS forged rear wheel to a 999R swing arm (on my 1098)...

Machined my own axle spacers, sourced an axle (off a gsx-r1000, cut to length, custom made axle nut, also managed to source a Ducati performance sprocket from a 999rs, and an oem sprocket flange. So I'm maybe a little over half done.

I still need the brake adapter. But I don't want to use the 999RS rear brake rotor mainly because I'm cheap. I want to machine my own adapter and it would be very helpful to know the thickness of the stock piece, and thickness of the oem rotor.

Can somebody help me out?

·
Registered
36 Posts
What rotor are you trying to use on the rear the 1098 rotor? I have a spare set of 999 rims with brakes on them I can measure but I dont know if that will help you. Im not familiar with the difference between the 999 rim/brake setups between a rs, r, or base model. I have more experience with building custom cars then bikes.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Huh, so the standard rotor mounting assembly, where the cush drive assembly is, doesn't fit on the RS wheels?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What rotor are you trying to use on the rear the 1098 rotor? I have a spare set of 999 rims with brakes on them I can measure but I dont know if that will help you. Im not familiar with the difference between the 999 rim/brake setups between a rs, r, or base model. I have more experience with building custom cars then bikes.
I'm trying to just be able to use a regular 999 rear brake. I already have a new 999 rear rotor.

The rear wheel on the RS is basically completely different than the R or S. It's amazingly light, forged magnesium weighs just 8lbs with the cush drive.

Because I have the sprocket side all figured out I can mount that up, line up the chain with the engine, then just measure the spacing required on the brake side. It's probably the best way to do it, because who knows if the rear caliper spacing is the same also.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
No the RS wheel has the cush drive built in. Oddly enough they don't have the brake rotor flange/adapter built into the wheel. It also uses a unique axle diameter...
Ohh interesting… very similar to the wheels I had, but just a slight difference in the cush assembly. So the drive assembly has pins on it which slide into those holes.

Yea, the axel diameter helps with swing arm flex.

Kool beans!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.