Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I of course, absolutely agree :) I've never found them to be ugly. I love the long and low, sleek shape. There has been so much flak thrown there way, it never swayed me though. I find the 1098 to be a gorgeous bike too and of course am completely won over by the specs. Now i tell ya though...If you put a 999 and a 1098 next to each other, and ask the laymen (non-bike person) wich is the newest model, I believe they'd select the 999.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Although I think the 999 was much better looking with the newer black, bulkier, swingarm and only two holes in the front upper fairing.....I never could really get into the bike. I really liked that ass-end up in the air geometry of the 748, 996, MV F4, etc. I rode a couple of 999's and 749's and felt like I was sitting in the bike instead of on top of the bike. It just felt wierd to me but I did like the motor - same as what was in the 998.

·
Registered
49 Posts
What I missed more than anything was the single sided swingarm. I like the angular design of the 999 generation, and the sweet single can exhaust.

What I say to people when we talk about Ducati and design is that: Most people forget that Porsche didn't originally come out with the 911. The 356 was the true original porsche. But when the 911 came out and captured the imagination of a generation, porsche's path had been decided. Any attempt to recall the 356 spirit in design was met with harsh criticism from porsche enthusiasts.
Likewise with Ducati, the 999 attempted to draw on the heratige of the 851/888, the original Ducati shape for Ducati's roadracing machines, was met with the same harshness. And now Ducati is learning that people identify too closely with the 916 shape to ever be fed anything different.
Ducati would be wise to take a page from porsche's book of experience and focus on evolution of design, not radical redesign.

Although, I would love to find a 996/998 rolling chassis and a 999s or 999r motor and exhaust on it, and make one fun sexy race bike out of the deal.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Had both a 998 and 999. Sold the 998 recently to help fund the coming T-C. The 999 remains here for now. As much of a design beauty the 998 is, I'd give the edge to the 999 from some angles. And for sure, from the seat it is a vast improvement.

·
Registered
547 Posts
sfarson, that's a great picture! and a nice looking road, i which we had some scenic twisties where i am, i gotta go a ways before hitting the nice roads, yet nothing like your pic.

·
Registered
152 Posts
sfarson said:
Had both a 998 and 999. Sold the 998 recently to help fund the coming T-C. The 999 remains here for now. As much of a design beauty the 998 is, I'd give the edge to the 999 from some angles. And for sure, from the seat it is a vast improvement.

VERY NICE BIKE !!!! :)

I LIKE IT VERY MUCH :conveyer: :yo:

·
Registered
93 Posts
sfarson said:

Amazing picture, bike and scenery, haven´t seen such a beautifull picture for a while.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Thanks everyone. The 999 is special. As Bike (U.K.) noted, the 999 might have been just a little before its time. While looking forward to the 1098 there is a portion of my heart (and head) where the 999 will always have a home.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sfarson, please tell me that is not a recent pic from the mountains. I would be even more upset if the weather is that nice up there already when I am still waiting for my bike to be delivered.

·
Banned
9,495 Posts
I think the 999 is what it is. A perpuse bilt race bike to win WSK. How can you not Love that. Sex sells. And she did not Ouzz it like the 916, so sales lagged.
Now we get the 1098. Good God!!!
Any way, when I get healed up $ from the 1098, I think in 2008, a used 999 will look good parked between the 998 and 1098.
I just have to stay away from the MV dealers. Not EZ.

·
Registered
71 Posts
999 series

I have had two 999 series bikes and still have my 2004 999r Fila. I will keep my Fila until the wheels fall off and then get new wheels. I love the way I am in the bike instead of on top of it. The 999 series does feel long though compared to the 916 series but does not bother me. I like to 03-04 front better than the later models without the cutout above the air duct.
I remember the hype about the 999 series when they first came out about how the pictures didn't do it justice. When I saw my first 999 at a dealers in California I was really impressed. I went back a year later and he still had the same bike. I told the friend I was with before we went in that if they still had that bike I would be leaving with it and I did. I traded the 03 999 in on the Fila a year later.
I got a feeling all those guys that traded off their 999 bikes will wish they still had them a few years from now.
Once you get the suspension set up correctly the 999 bikes are fantastic.
My Fila is just plain nuts for twisties. I really hope the 1098 will be as good or better.
+1 on the MV dealers. Everytime I see an F4 my legs start quivering. The only thing about the MV F4 I am not wild about is that nose but people said that about the 999 too. "Nice legs but a shame about the face".

·
Banned
9,495 Posts
[QUOTE
+1 on the MV dealers. Everytime I see an F4 my legs start quivering. The only thing about the MV F4 I am not wild about is that nose but people said that about the 999 too. "Nice legs but a shame about the face".[/QUOTE]
:naughty: One day I will love one of my oun.

·
Banned
9,495 Posts
Nice shop, Wow, nice bike.
I did not mean to make this in to the MV thread.
Im out.:later:

·
Registered
519 Posts
Mythinglink said:
Sfarson, please tell me that is not a recent pic from the mountains. I would be even more upset if the weather is that nice up there already when I am still waiting for my bike to be delivered.
Mythinglink... Image was from late last summer, but would mention I've been all over the mountains the past couple of weeks. This image here is from the same location recently, but, er, on the Munich product. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts