Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I am looking at a couple of bikes for track use only.
Currently I only have a 95 900ss for road use and an 03 zx6r for the track,but would really like a ducati for the track.
There is a track ready 05 749s with some r spec upgrades for sale, but also an 04 999s for a bit more money.
Not sure on which is the best to go for, so any advice is welcome. I do like the idea of the slipper clutch on the 999 and the full Ohlins suspension, as I have Ohlins on my zx6r and it is rock steady. However the 749s is a bit cheaper and closer power wise to what I am used to.
Also, how fragile are these bikes as track only? I hear conflicting reports on rebuilds etc or Should I just stick with the zx6r? Not really planning on any actual racing at this stage, but it could occur. Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Depends on how accomplished you are on the track. For me my 749s gives me the opportunity to push harder before I find my limit (long before the bike's limit). I find that more fun than riding a bike that is simply faster. Horses for courses. As for reliability. Service the 749s regularly and it will give you many thousands of miles of smiles ... without major rebuilds! That said, many will tell you the 999s is the only way to go, which will also be right based on their experience. Enjoy ...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi,

I have a 2005 999s and did one (my first) track day on it and it was great.

Don't be fooled into thinking it's more power than you can handle as the 999 series has a spot-on power to weight ratio. The 999s will NOT bite you at the slightest indiscretion (i can personally attest to this). This is what the 1098's and later bikes do with their insane power to weight ratio's.

It comes down to cost in this specific instance. After my one track day on the 999s (my road bike) I wanted to avoid crashing her so I went out and got a GSXR 600 for the track.

A sorted 600 in capable hands will consistently beat the litre bikes in less capable hands.

You won't regret either option but you will save money on the initial purchase which you can put towards any gear you need (tires, warmers, stands, protective stuff etc.).

My 2 cents but enjoy riding (what ever you decide) as that's the main thing....:):)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys.
For the record, I am a intermediate rider and have all the gear needed for the track (e.g warmers, stands, wets, spare slicks etc etc). I have done a couple of levels of CSS and spent the last 12+ months on the track (At least one session per month).
I had a Gsxr 750 before the Zx6r and also run a 250cc in the limited class to work on my corner speed/skills.
So I guess mainly I was wondering on the reliability of 999's on the track. And whether they need much work to setup? And if so...what is best to spend money on?
Or am I better off just spending another year on the 636 and then trying a 1000?

·
Registered
44 Posts
A well set-up ZX6R will flog the arse off a 999 on track. It's lighter, faster, has a better P/W ratio and will be more reliable, easier to set up and cheaper to run long term. The 600's will still be on the rev limiter in your 999's braking zone.

Before you all start choking on your Corn-Flakes with indignation, I've engineered and raced Ducati, Aprilia, Honda, Yamaha, Triumph and Kawasaki for many years. Ducati will always be a favourite in my heart (I currently own 4) but logic must dictate fact.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.