Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just installed an afam quick change sprocket kit, the sprocket and sprocket carrier are bolted together (no play between the two) and the flange is bolted to the carrier pretty well i think. I cannot get it any tighter

I used a 15inch breaker bar w/ 12mm hex to hold cush drive hub and a 15mm wrench to tighten the bolts on the flange side and they are on there very tight.

the sprocket and carrier have a little wiggle room when bolted to the flange..im guessing this is not normal but any advice would be great..

fyi: the sprocket nut has not been torqued down yet, maybe that will help compress the flange to the carrier/sprocket??

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
??? the sprocket and carrier move front to back about 1mm. there is a tiny space between the carrier and the hub. does anybody have similar movement?

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Huh, that's an odd one. I had the AFAM kit and no way did it move.

The rear sprocket can't wiggle, even if it's slightly out of alignment, it will damage the chain and could cause pre-mature chain failure. This is why most sprockets are locked in place with bolts.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks thats what i figured..it seems the afam carrier is narrower than the OEM sprocket so there is a slight gap, like there should be a washer between the carrier and the hub.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
thanks thats what i figured..it seems the afam carrier is narrower than the OEM sprocket so there is a slight gap, like there should be a washer between the carrier and the hub.
Can you post some pictures of what you have?? The OEM sprockets shouldn't work with the AFAM carriers, you need to get AFAM sprockets. At least that's how it is with my AFAM quick-change carrier, I'm not sure if there are other kinds. Any I'm not getting any wiggle with mine.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Rubbish, im using an AFAM rear sprocket..i was just stating that if the OEM sprocket is wider than the afam sprocket/carrier there will be a gap between the sprocket hub and carrier..

and Bob, that is the type of movement I am experiencing..the carrier is sliding front to back along the cush drives

ill try to post up pics later

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
I just checked mine and I have no play between sprocket or carrier. There is a bit of play from the chain on the sprocket (left to right) as the sprocket is slightly narrower than the inside width of the chain links, but that's normal.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Could you post some pictures of the set-up, since you mentioned the washers.

Wondering if you have all installed.

Thanks.
I do not have any washers installed.

in fact I took everything apart last night and reinstalled and there is no longer any movement..not sure if 48nm is the correct torque value (I read on another forum that it is) but there was movement at 48nm. So I went another quarter turn on all 5 bolts and everything is snug now

1 - 13 of 13 Posts