Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to restore my exhaust on my '11 848 evo, it's gross, looks brown, got so hot before it turned the front of the can blue from the heat. The rubber clamps are melted and stuck to the can. I'm looking to completely redo my exhaust. This is what I've got in mind, I'll order a A&R Baffle kit, pull my exhaust, cut the exhaust completely hollow, shorten the cans a few inches and paint the cans with high-temp black, either matte or gloss, and reassemble with the A&R baffles with the stock baffles/cats removed.

So a few questions:
What kind of high-temp black should I use and what how should I go about painting it?
Gloss or Matte paint to match red fairings?
Best way to cut the exhaust to make it a shorty? From the back or front?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I cut mine on the front side with the cats. i think the stamp is on the rear so keep that, it helps when registering it in a new state, they will tell you its too loud and then i showed them the ducati emissions stamp and said "its stock". I cut mine about 4 inches, it sounds amazing, looks cleaner and tighter, and used the limited low mount plate and integrated turn signals.

If your rubber is melting something is wrong, either your running way to lean or cats are clogged or something. i was running mine in texas at 112 degrees, and the bike was regularly at 210-220 at sop lights and never melted the rubber. I wrapped my headers with DEI titanium, and build custom heat shields for under the seat, but the cans should not be getting hot enough to blue or melt the rubber.

White is mine, red is a 1098 with the stock shorter cans, then there are stock cans on the newer 848 evo's and 1198 that are about 2 inches longer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I cut mine on the front side with the cats. i think the stamp is on the rear so keep that, it helps when registering it in a new state, they will tell you its too loud and then i showed them the ducati emissions stamp and said "its stock". I cut mine about 4 inches, it sounds amazing, looks cleaner and tighter, and used the limited low mount plate and integrated turn signals.

If your rubber is melting something is wrong, either your running way to lean or cats are clogged or something. i was running mine in texas at 112 degrees, and the bike was regularly at 210-220 at sop lights and never melted the rubber. I wrapped my headers with DEI titanium, and build custom heat shields for under the seat, but the cans should not be getting hot enough to blue or melt the rubber.

White is mine, red is a 1098 with the stock shorter cans, then there are stock cans on the newer 848 evo's and 1198 that are about 2 inches longer.

Yeah I'd probably want them the length of the ones on the 1198 there.... I think what happened is the last guy put race fuel in it at one time or another maybe? I got it at 1800 miles and it was like that. Looks filthy. But everything else is just fine mechanically. It does have the typical little gurgle when you let off the exhaust but it's never seemed to get extremely hot for me. Never above 220 even in standstill/stop and go traffic

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well good luck, i would suggest some kind of fuel computer, i use a Power commander 5. i got mine for 220, and had it tuned for 150. It runs much smoother and minimized the Lull at 4000-5200 RPM.

Just get the A&R kit and go to town, measure from the end in 1" increments and then cut one of at a time so you can see where you like it. I wish someone made Carbon cans that we could use in the middle instead.

I can say, i have herd akra's, termi's, zard, and FMF pipes, and only the Termi's fit right, but look like they are set too far back, and nothing sounds like my A&R shortened pipes. I get complements from everyone who hears it, even guys with other systems.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Look for a set of 1x98 cans for the length. If they're burnt then you can start with a clean set of cans without having to cut them to that length.

As far as the end result. I absolutely love them. Zero complaints. Best 100 I've spent on that bike...though not much else can be had at that price ;).

·
Registered
518 Posts
Look for a set of 1x98 cans for the length. If they're burnt then you can start with a clean set of cans without having to cut them to that length.

As far as the end result. I absolutely love them. Zero complaints. Best 100 I've spent on that bike...though not much else can be had at that price ;).
848 stock cans are longer than the 1x98 ?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I believe these are the baffles my bud had on his 848 and it sounded awesome. His cans were like a matte or satin black on a white bike. I don't think the gloss would look right at all. Pretty sure his cans were not painted, I think they were black ones off of a 1x98. Been a while so I am not positive but they did look better in black.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Short stock pipes will look better and at the same time getting rid of the cat will help the heat!
Lots of time so hope you have it to do it right? Good news is there are tons of stock pipes out there guys will sell you because most go aftermarket even tho FallenHero votes no except for overpriced termis. I do agree that most pipes are too long on the 848.
I would not paint. Keep the stock look with a twist instead of trying to get cute and make it look like some pipe off a modified civic. Don't trash up the Duc man!
Get creative and get rid of that ugly clamp and maybe add red or black rivets?
Rock on!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I found this the other day and thought of this thread.

1098 DUCATI Slip-on Exhaust: USED Fits all 848/1098/1198

148 isn't a bad price for the shorter cans. They look in good condition too. A couple dremel blades, a 100 AR baffle kit, an hour or two of labor and you have an amazing sounding slip on for less than 300. Plus, if you get pulled over for noise you can point at the OEM label and say it's stock ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.