Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

So all the numbers, down payment, trade in, etc. has all been worked out.

I went to go sit on one just to check the ride height, and I am barely getting a couple toes down on one side. I am 5'4 and have short legs, and I have been through this on several sport bikes but this 821 is rather tall.

My question is, with the lower seat and adjusting it at the lowest point - does it make a dramatic difference? The claimed 2 inches does not seem like it would be enough for me. I guess my boots would add another inch.

Second question: Are there other options that do not upset the bike's geometry?

The ride height is probably the one and only thing holding me back.

TIA!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey guys!

So all the numbers, down payment, trade in, etc. has all been worked out.

I went to go sit on one just to check the ride height, and I am barely getting a couple toes down on one side. I am 5'4 and have short legs, and I have been through this on several sport bikes but this 821 is rather tall.

My question is, with the lower seat and adjusting it at the lowest point - does it make a dramatic difference? The claimed 2 inches does not seem like it would be enough for me. I guess my boots would add another inch.

Second question: Are there other options that do not upset the bike's geometry?

The ride height is probably the one and only thing holding me back.

TIA!
I have a 30" inseam and flat foot the bike. I think the dealer can help you out. They can reverse the blocks under the stock seat and get 1" lower. Ask them if the two inch lower seat can be made any lower with this process.
How us the distance seat to peg?
The 821 is being marketed to riders like you and the dealer should keep the lower seat options on hand to help then sell a $12,000.00 bike. PUSH the dealer to go the extra mile.
You may want to check with a seat manufacturer like Sargent Custom Seats and see if they can get a lower, narrower seat option
I've never been a fan of lowering links for just the reasons you touch on.
I hope it works out for you. It seems like a great bike.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey I'm only 5, 4 too and I have the 821, there is a low seat avail 40mm lower that does me fine. I can't get both feet flat and reversing by paddling if it's not totally flat is an issue but I don't care I love the 821.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Once you get your boots on you will get a little more reach. The seat has 2 height adjustments. I have mine on the taller setting as i prefer to be more comfortable riding. You don't want to cramp yourself up. Most of my riding is in the twisties and country so I don't need to put my feet down too often!
Just make sure you're happy with the front suspension. I find it very soft and haven't found a solution without spending big bux.

Leroy

·
Registered
107 Posts
I took the blocks right out from under the seat and went to the lower pin position on the front of the seat, I'm 5' 6" and that works pretty good. I'm not flat foot but on the balls of my feet( no jokes on that one please).
I would imagine if you went with the 40mm lower seat, and wore boots, you should be almost flat foot.
If you can manage it somehow, DO IT. The bike is awesome.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I personally find the stock seat in low position cramps my legs too much and ive only got just under 29" inseam. I prefer the stock high position and touch with front of feet. You could by daytona M star boots. They give u over an inch of height

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm 5' 5" with 27 inside leg. Another shortarse with a monster. I have the original seat on it's lowest setting and I'm on tiptoes. At the lights I just lean over slightly to one side and I'm flatfooted on one. I may get them to wind down the rear shock a bit on the first service to give me a little more ground contact.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm 5' 5" with 27 inside leg. Another shortarse with a monster. I have the original seat on it's lowest setting and I'm on tiptoes. At the lights I just lean over slightly to one side and I'm flatfooted on one. I may get them to wind down the rear shock a bit on the first service to give me a little more ground contact.
Same here. 5'4". 27" inseam. Original seat on low setting.

Before I took delivery, I did have the dealer wind down the rear shock for me. While I still cannot flat foot it, I can get both feet down with the balls of my feet which gives me enough control to be comfortable.

Paul

·
Registered
131 Posts
5'4 27 inseam as well. Still at the stock height with blocks on and sag set for me + leathers with no issues. But then again, I've always been short on any bike. I did try the lowest seat setting for a few rides and I could get the balls of my feet down for the most part. Went back to the higher seat height as I found it more comfortable while riding. All preference. Can be adjusted in 5 min. I'm rather small too 140lbs so it may be that I have chicken legs and need to hit the gym more :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sorry for the double post... Do it! The 821 is so fun to ride. Comfy to commute, fun in the twisties, and by all means it will certainly wheelie for safety.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This was a real issue for me. I got the -40 mm seat and it has been wonderful! It is better made, more comfortable, and has red stitching. Being lower changes the center of gravity in a way I liked, and there is a bit less wind buffeting at speed, which is nice. I am also a bit more upright, which was perfect for me. I have made no adjustments to the shock at this time.

This was a win in every way! I ride with track style boots with minimal soles, which helped cause some of the problem. I am 5'5" with a short inseam.

The bike is great, you will like it. The front brake is a bit grabby at first. You never need to brake with more than one finger, in my experience.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Seat height

This was a real issue for me. I got the -40 mm seat and it has been wonderful! It is better made, more comfortable, and has red stitching. Being lower changes the center of gravity in a way I liked, and there is a bit less wind buffeting at speed, which is nice. I am also a bit more upright, which was perfect for me. I have made no adjustments to the shock at this time.

This was a win in every way! I ride with track style boots with minimal soles, which helped cause some of the problem. I am 5'5" with a short inseam.

The bike is great, you will like it. The front brake is a bit grabby at first. You never need to brake with more than one finger, in my experience.
The stock seat in low position is 30.9. Can you tell me what it is with the 40m low seat?

·
Registered
10 Posts
40mm is 1.575 inches so the low seat is that much lower than stock at either height. So if regular seat on lowest setting is 30.9” then with the low seat in low position, seat height will be 29.325”

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.