Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just added a 2015 899 to my stable. This bike turns like it's on rails and I have not even messed with the suspension settings yet. It has the larger windscreen and tank protector on it, and I removed the passenger pegs... Termignoni exhaust and rear cowl along with fender eliminator and nicer looking rear turn signals are on the way. I also intend to do the occasional track day with it.

It goes well with my 2014 1200S... which is a blast to ride too, especially since it has a huge amount of torque all the way down to 3000 RPM, but I missed having a sport bike, and as well as the 1200S handles for what it is, it's not a sport bike. The 899 blows it away in steering response and cornering feel.

Overall 2 different rides... the Monster is a good all-rounder, so I'll use it for long trips, commuting, and the occasional blast on a backroad, and the 899 I'll use for more serious backroad twisties and the occasional track day or commute.

(Yes I still have some chicken strips on the front, and very small ones on the back. I just got it Saturday and have only ridden on highways and on/off ramps so far because I had to make room for it in the garage!)

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Congrats mtb! I too have a 2014 Monster 1200s and about to get one of the Panigale's for same reason as you. I've been racking my brain trying to decide which one.

Question: what kind of wind screen do you have on your Monster 1200s? And does it help with the wind?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Congrats mtb! I too have a 2014 Monster 1200s and about to get one of the Panigale's for same reason as you. I've been racking my brain trying to decide which one.

Question: what kind of wind screen do you have on your Monster 1200s? And does it help with the wind?
I just have the one Ducati sells. I had the dealer install it but apparently it's a pain to install if you do it yourself.

The windscreen does not block any wind from my head... but about neck down it blocks a good bit of the wind. At least until you're above about 80-90 MPH, then the area it blocks moves down to about mid-chest. Many people complain it doesn't do anything, but it definitely does IMHO.

I'm about 5'8"-5'9" with a fairly short torso compared to leg length just for a reference. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Congrats on the 899 and addition to the stable..

Got any upgrades or mods planned ?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the Termi slip-ons waiting at the dealer for when I get the first service. I also got the bigger racing windscreen, passenger seat cowl, Evotech lower radiator guard, Evotech tail tidy, Ducati performance LED turn signals, Ducati Performance tank protector, and R&G tank grips. I had my first "out in the sun all day" hard start issue yesterday, so I will probably pull the charcoal canister tomorrow assuming I can find a tee or y connector and a screw that will work in my garage. I may RTV the screw in too to avoid vacuum leaks. Aside from the windscreen and tank protector, everything else is either in transit or waiting at the dealer. I intend to do all the work except the Termi install myself.

Once I am ready to start taking it for track days I will likely get mirror block-off plates, and frame, engine, tank and tail sliders.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Nice bikes! Don't worry about chicken strips on the street man!
In my experience squids are the only ones to notice stuff like that :)

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Hey! Don't discriminate against the ones who think that chicken strips and being fast correlate...they should get a mentioning as well... :stickpoke

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)

I generally get rid of the rear ones and don't worry about the front. I figure that is enough margin for error on the street. I hang off most fast corners to keep lean angle in check. Doing California Superbike school in Aug, and have done the Total Control course so I know and practice proper technique (though I probably don't get it perfect, I mainly focus on not being crossed up) but seeing big strips on the rear still annoys me. :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.