Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, new member here on the 1198 forums

i currently ride a 2012 zx10r fully built ( dyno'd at around 191 rwhp)

the motor on the 10r is going to need some repairs and even then it will still be like putting a bandaid on a problem, surely it will come up again in a couple thousand miles.

so here is my dilemma

i found a 10 1198S with the following mods and 36xx miles on it
-Full Racing Termignoni Carbon Fiber Exhaust System
-Plate Relocation
-Sato Racing Rear Sets
-Sato Racing Frame Plugs
-Open clutch cover with plate and springs
-Ducati Comfort Seat
-LighTech Gas Cap
-Zero Gravity Windscreen
-Rizoma Grips & Bar Ends
-Rizoma Shift/Brake Levers
-CRG Bar End Mirror

the price is going to be around 13k, 1400/yr for insurance

i really have no interest in keeping the 10r, as this has now become a ticking time bomb of a motorcycle and i wish to get rid of it before it breaks again

here is my question

to those have you who have also made the switch from inline 4 to ducati twins, did you regret your purchase, why or why not

and, does this seem like a reasonable deal for the 1198s?

also what are things i should expect in ducati ownership in terms of issues/hassles

things i should be looking for when i go look at the motorcycle etc etc

thanks!

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Well, like most people, I started with a Japanese 600 and have tracked the Daytona 675R a bunch in anger as well. I'm quite familiar with the power delivery of the liter 4 bangers as well.

To me, there is very little comparison between the big-booming 1198 and the Japanese liter bikes, they couldn't be farther apart, yet somehow classified in the same "family" of motorcycle.

What you get with an 1198 is a real mechanical machine, more like what motorcycles use to be. In comparison, its a rattle cage, vibrating and noisy. The power delivery is mostly bottom end without the oh-jesus top end which makes your eye balls push into the back of your cranium like the Japanese liter bikes. I have ridden nothing in my entire life to the power of an inline 4 liter bike, when they're tuned right, they're unbelievable. That mind-bending power is very hard to achieve with a base 1198, so most people simply ride them for what they are and enjoy the somewhat meager 165rwhp they produce stock.

If you're really into mechanical things and enjoy working on motorcycles, absolutely there is no doubt a more classic Ducati should be on the list. The Superbike lineup isn't really designed for comfort, so if its going to be a daily rider or something, there are better options for MUCH less money, like the Monster 1200, Monster S4RS and of course, Streetfighter lineup. However, if you plan on using the bike for what it was designed for; occasional track days and twisties, then a superbike is a great choice.

If your not reasonably mechanically inclined and don't want to do your own service, then you may wish to stay clear of Ducati unless you've got a huge wad of cash stashed up for yearly service intervals. The modern bikes aren't service hogs, so don't think for a second thats what I'm talking about. They just require a bit more TLC, they need to be ridden, they need to be loved and they absolutely need to be respected. Some people don't have the time to respect or ride their bikes, thats when issues start to happen. Ducati superbikes are like Italian woman, if you aren't telling them how much you love them every moment, they'll find someone else who will.

In terms of the deal, $13k for what you listed isn't too bad. Thats about what a dealer would sell that bike for.

I'm being honest because I've owned three Ducati superbikes and ride other bikes on a regular basis. So I have a good feeling of what makes Ducati special and what makes other bikes better/worse. I'm also very mechanically inclined, I always did my own service and have absolutely no regrets what so ever. I absolutely love Ducati superbikes, but I'm willing to admit, they're not perfect for everyone.

So good luck with your decision and again, welcome to the forum! I hope there are a few other's who chime in and fill in the details I left out. :)

·
Registered
303 Posts
I love the linear power band delivery. I've owned a couple gixxer 1K's, R1's, etc. I love the L-twin power delivery. I think 13k is high. Look on eBay for 1198S and click the "Sold listings" and get a better idea, but I would have thought high 11's to mid 12's at most. You can find base 1098's for the 8's and 1098S's in the 9-10's, so...

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
These comparison type treads are common before jumping ship from inline bikes to Ducati twins.

Tye1138 pretty much nailed it perfectly. Best advice is to test ride the 1198 before pulling the trigger.

Most people make the plunge and never look back. The power delivery and handling will get you hooked -)

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
i currently ride a 2012 zx10r fully built ( dyno'd at around 191 rwhp)

the motor on the 10r is going to need some repairs and even then it will still be like putting a bandaid on a problem, surely it will come up again in a couple thousand miles.
What did you do to the 10R? Why not just fix what you have?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its basically going to need a new head and im sick of it, i've had 3 built zx10rs ( this being the 3rd, an 05 and an 06 previously) and they have just become boring, even at almost 200 whp

i've also owned a cbr600rr which was my first bike, and i've realized that all the japanese bikes are the same thing

Fast - yes
soul - not so much

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Fast - yes
soul - not so much
Since you've said this.....you're ready for Ducati.

Ducati moves my soul. Excites me with its looks and sounds. I've had faster bikes, but not better :)

Some make the switch and hate it...not me...I will own Ducati motorcycles for a long long time...

(I did own an RC51 for 6 years previous to my Ducati's)

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
so how mechanically inclined are we talking here in terms of saving money on service?
I have built my own bikes in the past (I was also a kawi guy, and have a hybrid suz/kaw cafe project going), and have an older hotrod That I have built. Being mechanically inclined is 2nd nature to me.

When I brought my 1198 home I was terrified to touch it. Because- it has always been beaten into my head that you dont TOUCH Ducati's..

Then I got used to it. Its just a motorcycle. Sure it has some things that I have never dealt with before on a bike- but it isnt nuclear Engineering either. For me- the biggest hurdle is having the correct specialty tools. And just learning where things are, etc..

There are plenty of how-to's for the belt replacement and valve services. If you have faith in your capabilities, you should be fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts

If your thinking about one your probably always going to want one and wonder about it. Like that hot girl you always wish you asked out but never had the balls to.

Ive had 2 R1s a 954, YZF 600 etc... and I love Japanese 4 cylinder bikes and have and will always stick up for them.

I always wanted to have a Ducati and not for the BS reasons like there all that you see on TV and feel exclusive. The Belt driven V twin seems an inferior engine to an inline 4 as seen through displacement rules in super bike racing and MotoGP designs. The Ducati probably wouldn't beat them on a level ground but, I don't really care. LOOK AT IT and hear that exhaust. Japanese bikes cannot match the design.

Thats why I recently purchased a 2010 1198. I finally have what Ive wanted ever since first seeing bikes like the 888, 916-998 and Mvagusta F4 and not being way too pricey.

If you get one and feel its not for you sell it and at least you'll know exactly what it is like and not just through someones view of it.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts