Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I was warned that track days can be addictive and I said, yeah right, but I was a fool to ignore that wisdom. So I've been to the track a couple of times now and have a 2007 stock 1098. Looking for some pointers as to what some suggestions would be to convert her to a dedicated track bike now. If I'm going to feed this addiction I might as well do it with proper counseling ;):-D
So far have race plastics, rearsets, Öhlin steering dampener, that's about it..

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Suspension. 30 mm triples. Kyle rear link. Rear brake relocation pin + 2 links for longer wheelbase. Slipper clutch. Exhaust and dp ecu. Front and rear stands. Tire warmers. Aluminum front fairing stay and subframe. Lighter wheels. Full floating rotors. The list goes on...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Suspension. 30 mm triples. Kyle rear link. Rear brake relocation pin + 2 links for longer wheelbase. Slipper clutch. Exhaust and dp ecu. Front and rear stands. Tire warmers. Aluminum front fairing stay and subframe. Lighter wheels. Full floating rotors. The list goes on...
Awesome, thanks. Yes i heard the slipper clutch is a must. Got stands and warmers. Will look into the suspension and other recommendations, thanks.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
You can go on forever about how to race prep your 1098. I have about $50k in my 1198 race bike. If you do anything do this:

Set up the suspension
Buy Race tires.
Have fun and buy better parts as you break them.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
pottebaum is on to something. Start with setting your suspension up for your weight: sag first, then you can upgrade parts/springs as necessary.

However, I'd argue against race tires until you're fast enough to keep heat in them. The street/race tires from most manufacturers are pretty darn sticky for even most intermediate level riders. Also, don't bother with race tires if you don't also get stands and tire warmers. Otherwise you're just asking for a cold tire lowside as a beginner.

I'd say the next step after suspension is get some crash protection to supplement your race plastics. Nobody plans to go down, or knows how they will, but you want to be ready in any event.

Slipper clutch is nice to have in the beginning, but not a need to have unless somehow you're already trailbraking like Marquez. Having been tracking since 2008, if I were to do it all over again I would've gotten a quickshifter before I got my slipper. You'll use the shifter more than you will the slipper early on. My corner speed and exit speed progressed faster in my track riding than my trailbraking did.

And I'd say get a front wheel chock. Need something to hold up your bike with the track plastics and no kickstand! And I like the chock more than a rear stand; just ride into the chock and you're done.

Other nice to have items: tent for shade, chairs, cooler, toolbox, spare parts, GAS, GoPro, undersuit for your leathers...try peeling those off in the middle of the summer after a full day on track

Then when you're ready for race tires I recommend you go all-in: front and rear stands, tire warmers, and generator. Yes you could get away with just taking it easy the first few laps; but if you're doing 6 sessions a day and giving up 3 laps each time that's 18 laps wasted! That could be an entire race at some tracks.

Lastly, welcome to the addiction!

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Forgot who sent me this but it's a good list Red is a must black is optional until you build up your progression....sooner or later you will bring everything on that list + more have fun out there 👍

Attachments

Reactions: WiscoG8

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
awesome guys, thanks bunches! Fortunately I've gotten advise from a friend that coached me into getting set up prior to the first track day. I am extremely grateful tha the guys I've been with are extremely safety conscious, checking tire pressure before each session, checking fasteners, etc.
So I've done the following already:
- had stock suspension set up by an experienced mechanic/ex team owner
- have full leathers, back protector, undersuit, good gloves, Sidi boots - all great scores on this and other forums.
- tires are Q3's
- have front/rear stands and tire warmers
- replaced stock steering dampener with an adjustable Öhlin

So after a couple of track weekends I've been able to move to intermediate class and with the 1098's brute power I had a near endo coming out of Jennings turn 11 (which gave me a healthy respect for proper technique).
I don't have traction control or a slipper clutch (which I've heard should help). One of the last track days was wet, which in a bizarre way I enjoyed since it showed me where I needed to focus on since I could feel the rear end slipping out in certain points along the track.

So your feedback has been great thanks. Looking to hear your experiences on how best to evolve my lady. So perhaps what I'm hearing for the next steps:
- rear shock upgrade (thanks pottebaum, I got it Johnny!)
- quick shifter (randomtask)
- 30mm triples, slipper clutch

eventually for performance gains:
- exhaust and reflashed ECU (would love a bit more low end acceleration from the twin)
- bdaroci2010 - thanks for the checklist. Who's got that engine you mentioned???

thanks all!

·
Registered
165 Posts
I said... Since you got the suspension set up, just add race plastics. All you'll need is seat time and tires... Once you hit the limit on your OEM equipment then start modding...

·
Registered
303 Posts
I only ride my 1098S on the track and I have done a lot of upgrades to it, so I think for me, initial suspension adjustment #1 (because it is the easiest and cheapest, and still very critical), proper tires #2 (you can N-E-V-E-R have too much traction), slipper #3 (I don't see it's need on the street, but late braking (me) the slipper is sure as hell nice), 30mm offset triples #4, TTX rear shock #5 (maybe tied for #4) quick shifter. . In the middle of all of that you should have warmers, track plastics/fiberglass, spare levers, spare rear sets, stands, all the standard nick-nacks; you know?
I have all of this btw.

The truth is that you can be on a 50k bike and some dude on an SV650 will blast right past you with rash all down the side of his bike, bent levers, etc. So much of this is going to be just track time as others said. You'll get better.

·
Registered
19,179 Posts
Hey guys, I was warned that track days can be addictive and I said, yeah right, but I was a fool to ignore that wisdom. So I've been to the track a couple of times now and have a 2007 stock 1098. Looking for some pointers as to what some suggestions would be to convert her to a dedicated track bike now. If I'm going to feed this addiction I might as well do it with proper counseling ;):-D
So far have race plastics, rearsets, Öhlin steering dampener, that's about it..

Thanks!!
start hording spares, especially levers, rearsets, wheels, and clutch covers. If your just starting keep it simple, frame sliders, and track fairings. I don't think a slipper is something you need when you first start off, plus you should be learning how to match your revs, I personally never got a lot of chatter when powering out, but I'm not exactly fast. Safety wire and duct tape are your best friends, actually add zip ties to your best friends list. If your going to invest in something make it good leathers and a helmet.

For me the secret to going fast was something a old timer told me! He said park your precious bike in the driveway, put the kick stand up, now kick it over! If you can't get yourself to do that your not going to be fast!

I think this is the best advice I ever had, mind you I can't really afford to dump a 1098R or Desmocedicci on the asphalt, but I also found that I cared way to much about my 1098 base and my S to really enjoy the track! I didn't have a problem low siding my 04 gsxr 1000, and my 98/99 R1 frankenbike. I was also faster on my VTR 1000 then I ever was on my 1098!

·
Registered
200 Posts
awesome guys, thanks bunches! Fortunately I've gotten advise from a friend that coached me into getting set up prior to the first track day. I am extremely grateful tha the guys I've been with are extremely safety conscious, checking tire pressure before each session, checking fasteners, etc.
So I've done the following already:
- had stock suspension set up by an experienced mechanic/ex team owner
- have full leathers, back protector, undersuit, good gloves, Sidi boots - all great scores on this and other forums.
- tires are Q3's
- have front/rear stands and tire warmers
- replaced stock steering dampener with an adjustable Öhlin

you shouldn't need tire warmers w/ Q3 at all. A good warmup lap with some hard braking and hard acceleration will bring em up quick.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For me the secret to going fast was something a old timer told me! He said park your precious bike in the driveway, put the kick stand up, now kick it over! If you can't get yourself to do that your not going to be fast!

Love it - actually makes a lot of sense

·
Registered
448 Posts
Well that little slip up you had was most likely tired where not up to temp at that pace, combine with a little to much throttle, I manage to get into the front pack on the intermediate group on my everyday 1198 with the stock suspension at the time, I had the front forks flush and raise the rear a bit but then I stop doing track days on it cause deff don't want to dump the thing at those speeds

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Haha, I told you it was going to get addictive ;)

The advice given here pretty much consists of "get everything". Now you just have to sort through it and prioritize based on your budget and your skill level. If you do it all, you'll be spending around $10k, and that's if you get used parts.

You'll find that at your level, most of those parts won't make much of a difference, so if I was you I'd spend more money on track day fees to get more seat time, and tires. Race tires are great, but if you're not fast enough to keep them hot, they won't do you any good. Q3's are fine for now until you get faster. You also don't need to use warmers with them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts