Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to one of the ducati reps and he was saying that if you install an aftermarket accessory that's not approved through ducati, that it would void the warrenty. Like installing new rear turn signal or power commander. With the Termignoni pipes you get the chip for it but what do you do for other exhausts?

·
Registered
78 Posts
My dealer said the same, that's why I went with the full Termi. I wanted to go with another exhaust because I could get it at cost but it would void the warrenty. I am not sure if afermarket slip ons are ok or not. I am assuming once you change the engine program for after market pipes or other performance upgrades you are hosed.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I don't know what state you're in, but that statement might just be against the law. I don't know if the Magnuson Moss Act applies to motorcycles or not (I’m not a lawyer) but in the auto world a dealer or auto manufacturer CAN NOT void your warranty if you install anything aftermarket UNLESS they can prove without a doubt that the mod / part / accessory you performed or installed was the DIRECT cause of the damage or malfunction on your vehicle. I know, you always hear otherwise, but that is the actual law.

For example, if you decide to install a different set of turn signals on your bike, smaller, more sleek units, and then take your bike in for service (lets say you're having problems with the bike idling properly, under the warranty period), the dealer can not deny you warranty service due to the fact you have aftermarket blinkers. The ONLY way he can, and once again this is what the MM act states, they have to prove what you did (the blinkers), is causing the problem(s) you're bringing the bike in for. Swapping rear blinkers, in NO WAY will effect how the engine runs. Now on the other hand, if while in the process of installing the blinkers, you short the "blinker circuit" or relay, then YES they can VOID that section of the vehicles warranty, but ONLY that area. They can not void lets say the warranty on your engine, suspension and so fourth.

By telling you should only install Ducati approved parts is simply saying, "hey don't buy anything from anyone else but us."

Some of the big "luxury" auto manufactures tried doing that in the early 70’s, and said hey you cant use anyone else’s parts, filters, lubricant or accessories but ours. This BLEW up in their face with lawsuit after lawsuit, until the MM act was passed in 1975. YES that long ago, but people to this day still believe otherwise, and are often mislead by their own local dealership.

What you should do before you perform any mod or install any accessories, approved or not is consider the worse case scenario or how the part / mod itself can adversely effect the vehicle. Swapping blinkers isn't bran surgery, nor can you do much damage. Installing a power commander is also not hard, but lets face it, you are re-mapping the spark, fuel and timing curve of the engine, so YES it is possible to damage the engine, if it wasn’t designed to operate within the programmed parameters. Chances are you won't but lets say you do, you MUST be willing and prepared to take the appropriate steps and as well handle the financial obligation in getting the engine repaired. If you’re not ready for that type of responsibility, don’t perform the mod or install the part. It’s that simple.

Last but not least, talk directly to the guys in the service dept at your local dealership. Chances are they’re enthusiast just like you, and unlike their boss (the service manager) who’s just looking out for the shops bottom line, they might be more “mod and accessory friendly.” If you get the green light from them, it'll be hard for any service manager to go against his own guys. I know because I've been there. Having worked for BMW, I saw it all.

A little brown-nose'ing can also go a LONG way. Get friendly with the service manager and the guys who'll work on your vehicle. Instead of being another face, be a name to them. Stop by out of the blue if you're passing by and say hello, heck spend a few bucks and get the guys some coffee. You'll be surprised how a little gesture like that will get you VIP treatment the next time you need a little something "extra" from them.

Just my 2 cents from being on both sides of the fence....

·
Registered
49 Posts
Regarding Ducati and warranty I have a couple of interesting stories:

1) has anyone seen the latest Roadracing World magazine? In it a disenchanted Ducati owner writes to describe how nothing on his motorcycle is covered under warranty because he uses it for track days, which, in DNA's words, constitutes abuse. Needless to say he felt a bit abandoned by a company whose whole image is predicated on race ready machines.

2) About seven years ago I personally owned a 916SPS, a not completely street legal machine that was sold without a warranty. Well 1600 well maintained miles into its life it decided to blow itself into many pieces. I took the bike apart myself, brought it back to my dealer disassembled and he warrantied as much as he could. I imagine he did that without DNA's knowledge.

I guess my point is this: Having worked for several dealerships and the largest motorcycle manufacturer in the world, presentation seems to have something to do with warranty coverage. This may not be fair, but at some point most semi-legitamate warranty issues become personal judgment calls. Just like DucatiGuy said, attitude is everything.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ducati Guy is absolutely right. The Magnusson Moss Warranty Act is FEDERAL LAW. It applies everywhere in the United States and it applies to everything with a warranty.(Google it) It is against the LAW for them to even tell you that you must have your service work done at a Ducati dealership.
These Bull Sh*t statements by salesmen are why people hate dealerships. :mad:

The only time they will ever touch my bike is for warranty work and I'm hoping there won't be much of that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts