Ducati.org forum banner

21 - 40 of 251 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Guys, I have been eyeballing those too. I want to just take off all OEM and store in garage. I was thinking the same thing, cracking, alignment and overall quality.

I just want the bike covered in something less expensive than OEM, you know in case of stupid mishaps like tip overs, resale and other Murphy's Law items.

Thickness of OEM, 2.2, 2.4, 2.5mm? Anyone?

I think some of these are 2.5mm from China. No doubt some of the finishes look great and they are banking on the graphics and price to get people to buy.

Would they be alright for everyday riding? If someone purchases these, please give some Ducati specific feedback. I know a lot of folks do wonder about them. I have read a ton of feedback on multiple vendors from China, seems for the most part Positive.

Thoughts?

Cory

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
So what are OEM fairings made of?
Same thing, ABS and just like the stock body work you're probably only going to get one lowside out of them. ABS is very soft(mounting points tear through easier in a crash) with a much lower melting point and abrasion resistance, as opposed to the composite stuff that will usually hold up much better. Then again if you guys can get the ABS stuff that cheap maybe it's worth it if the fitment isn't an issue. I'm not completely knocking the ABS stuff, just saying that you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Not too bad looking ... especially if you didn't what you paint over your OEM's and didn't mind some fitment problems. As far as for the track I would go the sharkskinz. Speaking of I know someone who is got a couple of sets of sharkskinz ... selling full sets for 900 plus shipping. They said the tail is the more expensive one that uses foam, not the one that uses stock seat. Can anyone elaborate on this for me.

·
Registered
10,941 Posts
....... They said the tail is the more expensive one that uses foam, not the one that uses stock seat. Can anyone elaborate on this for me.
I'm guessing the stock seat offers structural rigidity and therefore the tail unit can be lighter in construction ie. has a hole in it like a 916 for example. Whereas a tail for a foam seat would have to be solid (no openings/holes) and therefore slightly more expensive.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Can't speak for everyone on eBay but a very close friend of mine bought a set of these so called "replica fairing kits" (repsol kit) from a supplier in the far-east for his CBR and he was quite pleased. If I remember correctly, he paid something like $500 with shipping.

The parts arrived well packed, and looked quite nice right out of the box. The paint and clear-coated decals were not "show quality" (some bubbles here and there, and not everything lined up perfectly) but they were good enough to ride with.

Putting them on the bike however was a bit of a project. Almost none of the mounting holes lined up. They were close, but you couldn't get them flush or end-to-end without a little drilling/dremel work. The use of various length and width screws, nuts and washers was essential in keeping everything securely in place.

Even though they were advertised as direct replacement parts, there was NO way you could simply "replace" the parts without a little modifications.

Now for the $$$ (basically $500) the extra work to get them on and over-all look and quality was well worth it. I wouldn't say that if he had paid more, but for around $500, it's a good deal. There's nothing else that would come close to giving your bike a TOTAL transformation for that amount of dough.

Pros...
Cheap over-all price in comparison to OEM factory fairings or a custom paint job.
Totally new look for your bike.
Reasonably strong and well made material.
Great for track use.

Cons...
Clear coat and paint a little "sub-par".
Decals may be out of alignment or not straight.
Mounting holes / tabs may need to be cut, drilled or sanded for proper alignment.
Slight surface imperfections (fisheyes, pits, etc).
Pricey sipping.

If I were to rate them on a scale from 1 to 10, 1 being down right crap and 10 being near OEM quality, I can honestly say the fairings we received were a solid 6.

-1 point for a few slightly out of alignment decals.
-1 point for the fact the 75% of the mounting holes/tabs didn't line up.
-1 point for sub-par paint.
-1 point for sub-par clear coating.

Even though it's not a Duc, I'll get some pics up if anyone wants to see the bike and the end results... just let me know...

·
Registered
540 Posts
try nicecycle dot com.

they have some really nice aftermarket fairings they are about double the price of fairing factory but thy overall look way better IMO. The Bayliss editon 1098 fairings just look like they all around have better paint and clear coat.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Guys, I have been eyeballing those too. I want to just take off all OEM and store in garage. I was thinking the same thing, cracking, alignment and overall quality.

I just want the bike covered in something less expensive than OEM, you know in case of stupid mishaps like tip overs, resale and other Murphy's Law items.

Thickness of OEM, 2.2, 2.4, 2.5mm? Anyone?

I think some of these are 2.5mm from China. No doubt some of the finishes look great and they are banking on the graphics and price to get people to buy.

Would they be alright for everyday riding? If someone purchases these, please give some Ducati specific feedback. I know a lot of folks do wonder about them. I have read a ton of feedback on multiple vendors from China, seems for the most part Positive.

Thoughts?

Cory

Yes, you are correct, The OEM is thinner & lighter ABS than the China made.... Also the OEM is a much better quality of plastic, while the china made stuff says it is made of ABS, Itake their word for it, there are many different types of lower quaity plastics TPO, PPO, PVC, 3 grades of ABS & many many more....

My own experience with the China made is the paint quality is OK if you are standing 10 feet away, the fittment is Hit & Miss & poor at best & the plastic as well as the paint seems to be very brittle... have actually had a body blow off a customer bike & nearly kill his friend riding behind him... The Plastic had fatigued & cracked around the mounting cups... mounting bolts were still in place & tight but No more side pannels...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Stock Fairing material.

Same thing, ABS and just like the stock body work you're probably only going to get one lowside out of them. ABS is very soft(mounting points tear through easier in a crash) with a much lower melting point and abrasion resistance, as opposed to the composite stuff that will usually hold up much better. Then again if you guys can get the ABS stuff that cheap maybe it's worth it if the fitment isn't an issue. I'm not completely knocking the ABS stuff, just saying that you get what you pay for.

Actually according to the 1098 sales brochure the bodywork is made of Terblend tm.

this is a blend of ABS and nylon (PA). The whole lot is reinforced with glass fibre.

If you look on most automotive plastics these days they have the plastic family and glass content moulded into them it is a requirtent in many countries to assist with recycling.

cheers

AB.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Actually according to the 1098 sales brochure the bodywork is made of Terblend tm.

this is a blend of ABS and nylon (PA). The whole lot is reinforced with glass fibre.

If you look on most automotive plastics these days they have the plastic family and glass content moulded into them it is a requirement in many countries to assist with recycling.

cheers

AB.

Ok, it's still ABS just a slightly stronger version. That's all good info thanks for chiming in with you expertise and knowledge. My concern that i mentioned a few posts back and you reiterated is, ABS is weaker and in some cases more brittle as with the cheap Chinese stuff. As you stated it can crack with stress fractures and separate at the mounting points, not to mention a crash. I'm sure everyone is aware of how sharp plastic is when broken, think giant razor blade!

This picture was just posted a couple days ago by member KTM250SX who crashed at a track day and nearly had his arm amputated by the factory ABS plastic(yes it sliced right through his leathers). I don't know guys, i don't like it.....this influx of cheap plastic from China looks like a good deal but i think it's bad mojo.....i have an uneasy feeling. Take it for what it's worth but i would suggest people consider buying true purpose built and engineered composite bodywork for the track and a least stick with the factory stuff on the street.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Holy shit. That picture makes my stomach flip.

·
Registered
149 Posts

If you look on most automotive plastics these days they have the plastic family and glass content moulded into them it is a requirtent in many countries to assist with recycling.

cheers
The Problem with sales brchures, is they are not accurate... The stock body is ABS..... The Race Replacement body that Ducati sells in it's spare parts catalog is made from Terblend, or fiberglas reinforced ABS/Nylon...

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've been looking for trackday plastic and was also considering the chinese stuff to avoid the $$$ involved with paint and stickers, but after reading through this thread I'm going with the better stuff, I've determined I would be money ahead and have all my limbs also!

·
Registered
218 Posts
I've been looking for trackday plastic and was also considering the chinese stuff to avoid the $$$ involved with paint and stickers, but after reading through this thread I'm going with the better stuff, I've determined I would be money ahead and have all my limbs also!
In Canada healthcare is "free" so I did not have to pay for them to reattach my limb...
Seriously now, I do agree that the graphics of those bodywork look really nice and I would probably have been very tempted to buy some... before my crash.
Now that I have experienced the sharpness of broken OEM plastics, I will install Attack bodywork on my new trackbike.
Live & learn...

·
Registered
435 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
JUST A THOUGHT..

ebay's chinese fairings come fully designed, and most of the sellers will customize it for you.
about $6-700 for everything... including shipping....and they're street friendly (I dont know about you but I actaully ride my 1098 around and I need to use my lights!!)

I looked on line at different sites... hot bodies.. sharkskinz... attack....$700....800... even more... for blank fairings... plus whatever they charge for shipping...and we all know how much is a paint job or complete racing stickers or decals.. hundreds and hundreds......... then of course if you want the fairings with the holes for the lights it's about $200 more right away.

seems like it maybe worth to try

·
Registered
149 Posts
JUST A THOUGHT..

ebay's chinese fairings come fully designed, and most of the sellers will customize it for you.
about $6-700 for everything... including shipping....and they're street friendly (I dont know about you but I actaully ride my 1098 around and I need to use my lights!!)

I looked on line at different sites... hot bodies.. sharkskinz... attack....$700....800... even more... for blank fairings... plus whatever they charge for shipping...and we all know how much is a paint job or complete racing stickers or decals.. hundreds and hundreds......... then of course if you want the fairings with the holes for the lights it's about $200 more right away.

seems like it maybe worth to try

Something eludes me about this, If you are so concerned about cost... Why did you buy the 1098 in the first place??? You could have got a new Japanese Bike for half the cost.,...

The Beauty
The Prestige
The Engineering
The Performance...

Now you want to bolt on a Substandard China body onto that.... I don't get it...

21 - 40 of 251 Posts