Ducati.org forum banner

Aftermarket Throttle?

17K views 64 replies 28 participants last post by  lee 
#1 ·
I'm only having one issue with my 1098. I ride really tight canyon roads (Little Tujunga), staying mostly in 2nd gear, and it is so difficult to give a smooth throttle delivery coming out of the apex on those really tight turns where you're sort of in between 1st and 2nd. I realize that's how twins are but there's gotta be something I can do to make that transition from closed to just slightly opened throttle a little smoother. I did see an aftermarket throttle setup somewhere that had a metal throttle instead of plastic, but I haven't been able to find it since. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to alleviate this problem, or know anything about that throttle I'm talking about? BTW, I'm not a beginner, so common sense replies are not needed. Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
I have seen shortened throttles on race bikes...not sure if this would alleviate the problem or just get you to full much quicker.

The name was Euro"something" if you want to check it out...sorry didn't get the full name.....

#4 ·
Funny

same idea...

Now does that make the bike more difficult to control? (especially for new guy on the street?)

vinman said:
Evoluzione.net has a performance throttle controller and I believe DP has a 1/4 turn throttle. I had a 1/4 turn throttle on my RC51 but all that does is shorten the amount of travel to fully open. Don't know that these would help your problem.

#7 ·
This is

great advice...the only other thing I can think of if all else fails (and I hope this is not too common sense) is maybe changing a sprocket?

paddyduc said:
1/4 turn throttle will make it worse if anything.
did u try taking all the slack out of the cables cause they come very loose from factory

#9 · (Edited)
The 1098 already has a 1/5 turn throttle so a 1/4 turn would be slower. Taller gearing will slow down any hit as would being in a taller gear.

But any of these solutions do not really seem to address the problem, which sounds more like a drivability problem. This is solvable with a Power Commander and a good map. What pipe do you have? Race ECU or standard?

#11 · (Edited)
Dan Kyle said:
The 1098 already has a 1/5 turn throttle so a 1/4 turn would be slower. Taller gearing will slow down any hit as would being in a taller gear.

But any of these solutions do not really seem to address the problem, which sounds more like a drivability problem. This is solvable with a Power Commander and a good map. What pipe do you have? Race ECU or standard?
I've thought about adding a tooth on the rear sprocket but I don't want to make it reach the rev limiter quicker. Maybe just one tooth in the rear won't be a dramatic difference, but I think I would hit the limiter too quick if I went more than one tooth. The bike runs perfect though. I recently had the Termi slip-ons installed at my dealer, which came with the ecu and filter. They took out the decibal killers and dialed it in on their computer. It runs perfect. I love the way it sounds and rides, I just have a hard time with the throttle on those really tight turns, like I said. Maybe I just have carple tunnel (however you spell that). Oh, and I did already take all the slack out of the throttle.

#13 ·
Sport rider has a great editorial on this very subject.

i found the same problem at deals gap and grattan raceway. (both technical). Maybe we are riding our 1098's like I4s. Instead of being in 2nd, we should be in 3rd. It makes sense, but, would require me to rethink how i ride on the track.

just my 2 cents.

#14 ·
Not sure but I can't imagine adding a tooth in the rear is going to be a dramatic difference. Dropping in the front, maybe. My bike has a lot of hp, my front is dropped one and my rear is bumped 2-3! (a little too aggressive, I'm adding the front back ASAP) And although it reaches the limiter quicker, it's not that bad. I'd do it if I were you, FYI

Antigravityman79 said:
I've thought about adding a tooth on the rear sprocket but I don't want to make it reach the rev limiter quicker. Maybe just one tooth in the rear won't be a dramatic difference, but I think I would hit the limiter too quick if I went more than one tooth. The bike runs perfect though. I recently had the Termi slip-ons installed at my dealer, which came with the ecu and filter. They took out the decibal killers and dialed it in on their computer. It runs perfect. I love the way it sounds and rides, I just have a hard time with the throttle on those really tight turns, like I said. Maybe I just have carple tunnel (however you spell that). Oh, and I did already take all the slack out of the throttle.

#16 ·
knedrag said:
Sport rider has a great editorial on this very subject.

i found the same problem at deals gap and grattan raceway. (both technical). Maybe we are riding our 1098's like I4s. Instead of being in 2nd, we should be in 3rd. It makes sense, but, would require me to rethink how i ride on the track.

just my 2 cents.
I am used to riding i4's, this being only my second twin (other bike's an R1). But I'm talking about corners that are posted at 15 and you can really only do 20-25 max. TIGHT turns. 3rd would be way too slow. I'm in between 1st and 2nd. That first gear just has so much torque, I try not to use it too much in the turns. But maybe adding a tooth in the rear is the solution to my problem. I'll try it and let you guys know how it works for me. Thanks for the input.

#17 ·
#18 ·
I have put off buying the throttle tube thinking "how much would it really help?" but let me tell everyone, I wish It had been my first mod. It makes a HUGE difference In power delivery, It feels like a different bike....In a very good way. IMO, if you just got your bike or are wondering what mods to make to your stock bike, this is it. I'm not kidding! I would even suggest getting the new throttle before a new exhaust. The 1098 has plenty of power in stock form and the new throttle will help control the no/off torque of this bike so much better. The bike is much more enjoyable to ride and much,much easier to ride In traffic, surprisingly It's even easier to start off In first gear.

#19 · (Edited)
evoluzione said:
the billet aluminum evoluzione throttle controller works by slowing down the first half of throttle movement and then speeding up the second half. allows better low throttle control.

hope this helps.

regards,

ken zeller
I have this throttle and whilst it does not completely cure the problem (remember it's a twin and a Ducati) it certainly helps alot. A more steady throttle is easier to obtain and I found I did not need to slip the clutch as much around town to smooth things out. With the stock throttle any twitch of the wrist will speed the bike up or slow it down and therefore I believe far to sensitive. This throttle slows it all down a little. Pulling away from a standing start is much easier and the likliehood of a stall is reduced.

A certainly recommend this mod and for the money is good value for the benefits it provides

#20 ·
Quick action throttle

I have fitted the Ducati Corse quick action throttle to my 1098 and can say that IMO it has improved pick up and drive over the stock throttle measurably (FYI the quick action cuts travel from 95 to 65 degrees).

I feel that the original throttle is too lightly sprung, and going over bumps any slight movement of the hand has the bike hunting (due to the throttle opening slightly). IMO the stock throttle is also too vague when cracking out of corners; the Corse throttle has a much stronger spring and when you crack the gas, you have to actually apply pressure and the bike does drive forward is a consistent and strong manner.

Contrary to what people might think, I actually believe that speeding up the throttle has improved the bike, as the first 1/2 inch of the stock throttle never really gave lots of drive. Now, when I give it some gas, the bike accelerates....

I recommend it, even if it is expensive...

regards,

Paul.

#22 ·
This is a winter mod planned for my bike...so far I have heard about the DP, Yoyodyne and the Euro Racing ones. My tech runs the Euro Racing and loves it, not sure which one I will choose though.

#24 ·
HORNETDRIVER said:
Is the DP "race throttle kit" a constant rate (like stock) or is it progressive like the evoluzione solution (easy slow at first, then constant / normal)?

Anyone?...anyone?...Bueller?...Bueller?
HORNETDRIVER

From what I've seen all of the after market throttles have a "cam" profile
as apposed to just being round like the stock one, the only difference being
the rate of the profile. I think the Evoluzione throttle is more street oriented,
with most riders using the first half of the throttle the cam apogee is earlier.
Where the racer is always on the throttle to some degree the cam apogee is
later in the rotation. This is how I've come to understand them, I could be wrong
on this so if anyone else has more knowledge on the subject please speak up.

#26 ·
elevens,

You're going to love the change in the bikes power delivery.
I dare anyone to say this one mod doesn't make the 1098 a better bike.

Don't forget to lube the handle bar before slipping on the throttle
tube. Use a light oil or very very light grease, something like
white lithium spray works well. This must be done because the
metal on metal will make for a very dry, gritty felling throttle.
Also, if you use too heavy or sticky of a grease the throttle will
"hang" and not snap closed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.