Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My customers bike semi-fried the regulator. It charges but only at a little over 13V. it doesn't rise with RPM and while out the other day I suspect it completely cut out. The bike quit on him and when I went to retrieve it, no start because the battery was pretty dead. I charged it and it starts and runs fine but again, with only about a 13V charge rate.

I bought the new 1098 regulator and for now will keep it in the same location, as the customer wants to keep the bike original. I will try to convince him to let me relocate it, but for now it just needs to run.

I've started a tear down and see the regulator under the airbox. What is the easiest route to getting to it? it looks like I need to pull the entire airbox, but before I dig into it too deep I wanted to malk sure that was the best or only way to get to it.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
449 Posts
You CAN loosen the TB manifold clamps and pull the airbox UP enough to get an allen (and a hex allen) wrench in there. I did it that way before I ever removed the airbox.

It is probably easier & faster to pull the airbox half out of the bike. You do NOT need to remove the air filter cover & filter to pull the airbox. Loosen the upper TBI clamps. You probably need to pull the hose off the back of the box. The electrical connectors to the VR and the round one need to be disconnected. Everything else can just stretch or dangle while you change the VR.

DO NOT BREAK A FUEL LINE.

A rubber lubricant such as Ru-Glyde is your friend for reassembly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome. I've got a truck to prep for plowing this morning but I'll get back on that job this afternoon .

Sincerely appreciate the help.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I think you want to think about relocating the regulator to a spot with more air circulation.

One option is to leave the stock one in place, buy the updated version, and mount it in front of the radiator on an angle. The stock harness will reach. You will have to make a set of simple brackets. If you search you will find a few threads that show a few ways to mount the alternator in alternate locations.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I think you want to think about relocating the regulator to a spot with more air circulation.

One option is to leave the stock one in place, buy the updated version, and mount it in front of the radiator on an angle. The stock harness will reach. You will have to make a set of simple brackets. If you search you will find a few threads that show a few ways to mount the alternator in alternate locations.
Alternator ?
Thought we were talking about the V. Regulator….. :stickpoke

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I pitched the idea of moving or I should say, I told them customer I wanted to do the relocation. We'll see how that goes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.