Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody fitted a DNA air filter to their Desmo or know if they're any good?
Any recommendations??

·
Registered
449 Posts
K&N 33-2159 fits perfectly.

Product Specifications :
Filter Re-Oiling Amount : 0.52 oz (15 ml)
Height : 1.188 in (30 mm)
Outside Length : 7.063 in (179 mm)
Outside Width : 5.438 in (138 mm)
Product Weight : 0.69 lb (0.31 kg)

Somehow mine cost <$17 in July of 2011 more than 10,000 miles ago.
Either price that was a mistake or they've gotten quite a bit more expensive.

·
Registered
449 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Unbelievably, though predicted by sages like H.L. Mencken and P.T. Barnum, oiled gauze filters are still popular. Anyone using that crap should run their finger around the inside of a throttle body. Should make the point.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have a friend who worked for Ducati Corse for a while, so I asked him what they use for the air filter on the MotoGP bikes. He replied, "...up until 2007 (but I think they keep doing this) we put a small K&N type (can't remember if it was a K&N or something really close) filter; I remember that the element between the mesh was really really thin, almost paper thin, especially compared to the ones you can find in the shop. Another team member and I had a small puzzling moment whether it was just a fine metallic mesh or if there was something in between, but we then both agreed that, again, it looked like a K&N as described if not a real K&N."

FWIW, I have never been a fan of K&N filters but I figured that this bike will never see really high miles. (I have >100,000 miles on my regular street bike and it uses a single layer of open-cell oiled foam for a filter.) I had my air box and throttle bodies off when I was working to fix my hanging-throttle problem and they were quite clean. So I am not going to worry about it.

Your Mileage (or filter experiences) May Vary.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
What do you use Desmohp?
For the stuff that has to go forever (work vans) I use oem paper elements. Once I was changing one and set the old one on edge on top of the box. In 20k miles it (paper with a dry foam top layer) grabbed so much fine grit it was running out of the filter like water. Really puts in perspective just how much damage an oiled gauze filter can do. For stuff like bikes where power is the primary mission, I use the oem filter. There are people who can tune for less restrictive filters, but most people who drop in an oiled gauze element end up losing power. UNI, if available, has always been the better filter. Apollo has one or one like it. They are oiled open cell foam. We knew 30 years ago UNI filters grab finer grit with less restriction than a K&N. Unfortunately for the masses, K&N did the better job of marketing.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Spoke to a few people re these Declan & they've said to steer clear of them...less surface area, more maintainance & not as good apparently!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just opinions I suppose mate, had a different make thrown into the equation earlier!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Funny Moly, because I'm just having the 7000 mile valve clearance service... and bought a DNA filter for it, looks different to the Ducati performance item, more area and curved shape and loads of claims in how they differ from standard...as far as what Ive read on the net they are good...won't know what its like till the bike bike is used in anger next year now.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cheers Paul, I'm going to give 1 a go & see what we think...all 3 are in the workshop so taking the opportunity to get everything done that's needed! Found a guy who's great at mapping etc so he's going to spend the day trying different stuff to get the optimum performance out of them!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got 1 that's been on fire mate, nothing heavy so it's in being sorted out & put back to as new...I won't be keeping it, it'll be for someone else to enjoy!
Needless to say I went through my man's insurance & security quite thoroughly mate!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did you get out on your ride today Paul? How did it run with the new filter? Mine came yesterday. looks great quality, going to drop it off tomorrow along with the open clutch cover & new springs etc!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts