Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could I get some feedback on the choice of air and oil filter (aftermarket) people are using?

At this stage I'm thinking of a K&N for both. Is there something else that is better?

Is there any noticeable performance gains if coupled with Termi slip ons and race ecu?

I'm not tech savy, just trying to learn.

New to the Ducati world.

Mick

·
Registered
70 Posts
Welcome!

MWR make great filters, they make two types for our bikes road use and a race use. But to be honest I'm not sure if you should change your air filter, your ECU may be tuned with the filter that came with the Termi+ ECU pkg. At least that was the case when I had Termi's on my M696.

For oil filter, I'm using OEM. Don't know too much about K&N.

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
The air filter isn't going to make much of a difference as its not very restrictive in these bikes. I kinda like the old school OEM ones because they don't rely on filter oil like some of the aftermarket ones like the K&N. In terms of oil filters, OEM is fine as well. If you buy the tool to remove, its MUCH easier to deal with then even the K&N. The reason is… the K&N filter nut will spin on you very easily. So when it comes time to remove, you're screwed and it makes removing MUCH harder. The Ducati OEM filters have multiple flat edges on them, which allows the tool to grip properly every time.

Aftermarket exhausts are a whole other ball game. The resonator and catalytic converter are BOTH located in the stock canisters. So they heat up a lot and quiet the bike down a lot. However, the performance gains are minimal, if not inconsequential. A full exhaust is really needed on those bikes to open them up. If your only interested in a bit more sound, then the aftermarket can will work fine. Termi has gone down hill these last few years, they use to make a super premium product, but today its not quite as good. There are many different exhaust options on the market, Motowheels-Motorcycle Performance Products for Ducati, MV Agusta, Aprilia, KTM - Rancho Cordova - Sacramento has a few of them and they sell internationally.

No, you don't have to remap the bike for slip-on can's, though I'd for sure do it as the stock fueling isn't that great to begin with.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
I can advocate for the K&N air filter. It is long-lived, and washable with their cleaning/oiling kit. You should not need to make any alteration to your engine tune when you fit it. I have run these for decades, with good service.

A new air filter will always pass slightly more air than an old one, but this is within the tuning range, particularly if you have the Termi exhaust and ECU.

The best advantage of the K&N is that it comes with a couple of soft gaskets, which help seal the problem at the ends of the stock element, which allows dirt into your intake.

As to the oil filter - I can recommend a third alternative - a washable filter from K&P Engineering. Expensive initially, but you never need to buy another.

And after considerable mileage (see 'Pat's Engine Overhaul' thread) my engine is in great condition. Needing only one piston assembly to get going, but that's another story..

:(

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey all, thanks a lot for the feedback. I think I will invest in the k&N air filter. It's a small price to pay after all for a re-usable item that may allow the engine to breathe a touch better. I'm taking the bike into be re-tuned and figure it would be worth while getting it done with a new air filter. Oil filter wise I might stick with OEM.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Oil filter wise I might stick with OEM.
I just bought a K&N oil filter for mine... just because its easier to deal with my local racebike shop then drive 40 minutes each way to the dealer.

Was pleasantly surprised to see the K&N has a 17mm hex on the bottom of the filter (to make it easier for future removal), and its already drilled for safety wire

·
Registered
121 Posts
I recently installed the K&N filter. I was appalled at how much debris the OEM filter let accumulate in the airbox. No adjustments to the tuning required, simply replace and ride knowing debris are not flowing into the engine. Replacement was simple, plenty of videos on the topic on this site. Having never done the job before, I had it completed in 30 minutes.

WRT oil filters, I just order OEM. Will defer to others with more experience.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts