Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a write up on how to remove the airbox or any tips to ensure no damage will take place? I'm an enthusiast DIYer. Now if I remove the airbox, will I have do anything after fitting it back on like a TPS reset? Thanks for any input and suggestions.

·
Court Jester
12,114 Posts
It's pretty straight forward but it's all tight. Once you have the gas tank off you have a few things to disconnect:

Two clamps on the intakes you can reach these with a long straight edge screw driver.

Two (maybe 3) electrical connections. These are a bitch has they have they metal retainers you have to remove. You have one forward underneath and two others aft underneath (one of the aft might be underside).

Cables going to your throttle take them off at the throttle handle.

There are other things such as wire ties etc go slow and do not force anything.

When taking it off and putting it on I straddle the bike so I can apply even pressure when pulling and pushing. It kind of goes forward and aft while going vertical. When coming off you will be pull up and aft. When going on you will be going down and forward. Doesn't hurt to lube those intakes either.

I might of missed something so like I said slow, you do not need to reset the TB but it's good practice in my opinion.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
sounds about right. It is not hard to remove the air box. After doing it a few times you can have it done in about 15 min.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's pretty straight forward but it's all tight. Once you have the gas tank off you have a few things to disconnect:

Two clamps on the intakes you can reach these with a long straight edge screw driver.

Two (maybe 3) electrical connections. These are a bitch has they have they metal retainers you have to remove. You have one forward underneath and two others aft underneath (one of the aft might be underside).

Cables going to your throttle take them off at the throttle handle.

There are other things such as wire ties etc go slow and do not force anything.

When taking it off and putting it on I straddle the bike so I can apply even pressure when pulling and pushing. It kind of goes forward and aft while going vertical. When coming off you will be pull up and aft. When going on you will be going down and forward. Doesn't hurt to lube those intakes either.

I might of missed something so like I said slow, you do not need to reset the TB but it's good practice in my opinion.

Good luck.
Thank you very much! I'll definitely be taking it slow. Don't want to be breaking anything.

·
Registered
43 Posts
You you start with the seat and basically work your way forward. It would be something like, seat, plastic tank side covers, tank, then air box. The advice about removing the tank above is great.

If you still have gas in your tank you can make a simple loop with about a one foot length of tubing. I think the ID needs to be about 3/8". It'll keep the whole job a bit cleaner. Basically there are two quick disconnects for the fuel system and once you remove those, install a loop between those two points.

·
Court Jester
12,114 Posts
You you start with the seat and basically work your way forward. It would be something like, seat, plastic tank side covers, tank, then air box. The advice about removing the tank above is great.

If you still have gas in your tank you can make a simple loop with about a one foot length of tubing. I think the ID needs to be about 3/8". It'll keep the whole job a bit cleaner. Basically there are two quick disconnects for the fuel system and once you remove those, install a loop between those two points.

Only what is in the lines will leak out of the tank when you disconnect. I put a old towel under it to catch what will leak after that no more should come out of the tank. I will usually put a sandwich bag over the two lines on the bike and zip tye them.

Reactions: Camp170

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have a 999 and want to remove the top portion of the air box to clean my throttle body. everything if off except removing the front screw which is very difficult. my long skinny screwdriver hit the tub frame. nothing else in the way. any thoughts?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts